Best AP Review Guides: Princeton Review, Barron's, McGraw Hill

• Thread starter Salazar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Ap Review
In summary, you don't need a specific review book, but Barron's is good for Calculus and the PR has difficult problems for Physics.
Salazar
I need some recommendations for the *best* ap guide. I know princeton review is very popular, but some say is very simplistic and only covers basic materials. I also heard Barron's is pretty good at covering the material in depth. I really don't know much about McGraw Hill's 5 steps to a 5. I ap exams I am planing to take are AP Physics B, AP Calculus BC, and AP US History. (I may also register for AP Comp Sci A, depending on my schedule after new year's eve)

Thanks and I really appreciate your help!

Physics news on Phys.org
First off I'd like to assure you that you don't need a review book to take these exams and do well.

That being said my sister did use Princeton for biology and us history and passed both with a 5 so perhaps they helped? (Certainly didn't hurt if you've got the money)

As far as physics and calc goes just do as many problems as you can. It's the fastest way to get better.

Barron's for Calculus. The problems are harder than the real exam, and so you are better prepared.

The Princeton Review generally has good history books. I used the AP World one and found it concise and relevant to the exam format.

As for Physics, I also recommend the PR. The Physics C Princeton Review had ridiculously difficult problems, which I felt were an ideal preparation for the exam. The problems are definitely not "too simple," at least not in the physics books.

imo Princeton is just a bit over the top and discourages some students, Barrons is about right for Physics AP-C if you must cram or get a good review. No substitute for practicing problems constantly during the year assuming the concepts are clear. Even Go back and practice the ones you have already done without looking back at the answers.

I can understand the importance of thorough and comprehensive study materials for any subject, especially for AP exams. Based on my research and experience, I would recommend using a combination of the Princeton Review and Barron's guides for your chosen AP exams. Both of these guides are highly regarded and have a good track record of helping students succeed on their AP exams.

The Princeton Review is known for its user-friendly and easy-to-understand format, making it a popular choice among students. However, as you mentioned, some may find it simplistic. In that case, Barron's can provide a more in-depth coverage of the material, which can be helpful for students who want a deeper understanding of the subject.

I would also suggest taking advantage of the resources provided by McGraw Hill's 5 steps to a 5, such as practice tests and online resources. These can supplement your study materials and help you gauge your understanding of the material.

Ultimately, the best AP guide for you will depend on your learning style and preferences. I recommend trying out a few different guides and seeing which one works best for you. Good luck on your exams!

What is the difference between Princeton Review, Barron's, and McGraw Hill AP review guides?

Princeton Review, Barron's, and McGraw Hill are all popular companies that offer AP review guides. However, there are some differences between them. Princeton Review is known for its comprehensive and easy-to-follow study materials. Barron's is known for its challenging practice questions and detailed explanations. McGraw Hill is known for its concise and compact study guides. It ultimately depends on the individual's learning style and preferences.

Which AP review guide is the most effective?

There is no one definitive answer to this question as it ultimately depends on the individual's study habits and learning style. Some students may find Princeton Review to be the most effective while others may prefer Barron's or McGraw Hill. It is recommended to try out a few different review guides and see which one works best for you.

Do these AP review guides cover all subjects?

Yes, these AP review guides cover all subjects offered by the College Board. However, some subjects may have more comprehensive review materials than others. It is important to research the specific review guide to ensure that it covers the subject and topics you need to study.

Are there any free alternatives to these AP review guides?

Yes, there are some free alternatives to these AP review guides. The College Board offers free practice tests and study materials on their website for each AP subject. Additionally, there are many online resources and study guides created by teachers and students that can be found for free.

Can AP review guides guarantee a passing score on the exam?

No, AP review guides cannot guarantee a passing score on the exam. They are meant to be used as a supplement to classroom instruction and self-study. It is important to also actively engage in class, complete assignments, and take practice tests to ensure the best chance of success on the AP exam.