Angular Momentum and Principal Axes of Inertia

In summary: But at least now I know what it is. In summary, the book says that if a rigid body is rotating about an arbitrary axis, the angular momentum need not point in the same direction as the rotation axis, as it does when \vec L = I \vec \omega .
jpas
Hi

I´m self-studying Alonso and Finn´s Mechanics and I have a question about this subject.

Let a body rotate about an arbitrary axis P having angular momentum [tex]\vec L [/tex].
Consider a referential with three perpendicular axes, [tex] X_{0} , Y_{0} , Z_{0} [/tex] , which are also principal axes of inertia.
The book says we can write [tex] \vec L [/tex] as

[tex] \vec L = \vec u_{x} I_1 \omega_{x0} + \vec u_{y} I_2 \omega_{y0} + \vec u_{z} I_3 \omega_{z0} [/tex]

Does anybody how to derive this formula? The book usually explains things, but perhaps this is supost to be obvious.

By the way, I already know how to derive [tex] \vec L = I \vec \omega [/tex] for a body rotating about a principal axis of inertia but I don´t know how to derive this one.

Thank you​

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Generally, if a rigid body is rotating about an arbitrary axis, the angular momentum need not point in the same direction as the rotation axis, as it does when [itex]\vec L = I \vec \omega [/itex] (for rotation about a principal axis).

The relation between [itex]\vec L[/itex] and [itex]\omega[/itex] is still linear, and I is generally a tensor quantity (the inertia tensor).
An object always has three principal axes and in that coordinate system the inertia tensor is diagonal. This leads directly to:
[tex]
\vec L = \vec u_{x} I_1 \omega_{x0} + \vec u_{y} I_2 \omega_{y0} + \vec u_{z} I_3 \omega_{z0}
[/tex]
It's really the only thing it can be if you know [itex]\vec L = I \vec \omega [/itex] holds for principal axes, there are three principal axes and the correspondence between [itex]\vec w[/itex] and [itex]\L[/itex] is linear.

Hello Galileo,

Thanks for the answer. Unfortunately, I couldn´t follow it because I don´t know what a tensor is. I´m still a high school student. I guess I´ll just have to use it without knowing how to derive it. which is something I really hate.

What is angular momentum?

Angular momentum is a measure of an object's rotational motion. It is the product of an object's moment of inertia (a measure of its resistance to rotation) and its angular velocity (how fast it is rotating).

How is angular momentum related to principal axes of inertia?

The principal axes of inertia are the three perpendicular axes through the center of mass around which an object's moment of inertia is the smallest. Angular momentum is greatest when an object is rotating around one of its principal axes.

Why are principal axes of inertia important?

Principal axes of inertia are important because they allow us to simplify the calculation of an object's moment of inertia and angular momentum. By choosing to rotate around one of these axes, we can reduce the complexity of the equations and make them easier to solve.

How do you calculate principal axes of inertia?

The calculation of principal axes of inertia involves finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the object's inertia tensor. This can be done using mathematical formulas or by using software programs.

What are some real-world applications of angular momentum and principal axes of inertia?

Angular momentum and principal axes of inertia have many applications in physics and engineering. They are used in the design of vehicles and structures, such as airplanes and bridges, to ensure they can resist rotational forces. They are also important in the study of celestial bodies, such as planets and stars, and can help us understand their rotational behavior.