Unlock the Mystery: Investigating Inherited p53 Mutations

• Thread starter Goodyearkl
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mystery
In summary, the conversation discusses a student working on an optional assignment on a heritable form of cancer caused by a mutation in the p53 gene. They are trying to determine the number of wild type and mutant p53 genes in different types of cells using a microarray and the two hit theory. The phrase "non-cancerous somatic cells" is seen as a hint for the two hit theory.
Goodyearkl
Any ideas with this one? It's a part of an optional assignment I have been working on for extra credit. Everything else is complete and I have been milling this one over for about a week without coming up with a solution that I am confident in.

You are studying a heritable form of cancer that is due to a mutation in the p53 gene. The
mutation is thought to be a deletion of 200 bases in the middle of the gene.

You are given a number of tissue samples from an affected male individual which you
analyse with the test you designed. How many wild type and how many mutant p53
genes would you expect to find per cell in non-cancerous somatic cells, tumour cells and
sperm cells?

I'd use a microarry to do this. Could I figure out mutants based on the two hit theory?

Biology news on Phys.org
I would use the 2 hit theory. Isnt the whole "non-cancerous somatic cells" phrase a hint for that

1) What is "Unlock the Mystery: Investigating Inherited p53 Mutations"?

"Unlock the Mystery: Investigating Inherited p53 Mutations" is a scientific study that aims to understand how inherited mutations in the p53 gene can lead to cancer development.

2) Why is it important to study inherited p53 mutations?

Studying inherited p53 mutations is important because it can help us better understand the role of the p53 gene in cancer development and potentially develop new treatments or prevention strategies.

3) What is the goal of this investigation?

The goal of this investigation is to identify and analyze inherited p53 mutations in individuals with a family history of certain types of cancer, such as breast or colon cancer.

4) How will the data collected from this study be used?

The data collected from this study will be used to further our understanding of inherited p53 mutations and their role in cancer development. It may also contribute to the development of new diagnostic tools or treatments for individuals with these mutations.

5) Who can participate in this investigation?

Individuals with a family history of certain types of cancer, such as breast or colon cancer, can participate in this investigation. They must also have a known inherited mutation in the p53 gene.