Book on multivariable calculus/vector calculus, (cheap-ish)

In summary, a high school student from Ireland is looking for recommendations for a book on multivariable/vector calculus. They mention a book on Amazon that they like but is too expensive for them. They are also open to other suggestions and mention that they were able to find a cheaper version of a recommended book in their country. They also suggest looking into buying books from a physical store in the nearest city instead of ordering online.
thayes93
Right, high school student here, I may want a book on multivariable/vector calculus soon and I was wondering if you have any suggestions..

I like the look of https://www.amazon.com/dp/0130414085/?tag=pfamazon01-20 but regrettably it seems to expensive for me..
Bear in mind that I live in Ireland, in a rural area so all books will have to be ordered through the internet, probably through http://www.amazon.com"...

Your help would be appreciated..

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Unfortunately, Amazon prices are targeted at the US market, where the prices are substabtially higher than in toher less developed countries.

I learned multivariable calculus with Larson's book, but its listed price is 128 dollars on Amazon.com. In Mexico I got it for ~20 dollars =).

It is very famous, so the price of getting to the closest city and buying it may be better than ordering it off amazon.

What is multivariable calculus/vector calculus?

Multivariable calculus, also known as vector calculus, is a branch of mathematics that deals with functions of multiple variables. It extends the concepts of single-variable calculus to functions with more than one independent variable, and involves the study of vectors and vector-valued functions.

Why should I study multivariable calculus/vector calculus?

Multivariable calculus is an important tool for understanding and analyzing complex phenomena in fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and computer science. It allows us to model and solve problems involving multiple variables and has many practical applications in real-world scenarios.

Are there any prerequisites for studying multivariable calculus/vector calculus?

Yes, a strong foundation in single-variable calculus is necessary before diving into multivariable calculus. It is also helpful to have a good understanding of algebra, trigonometry, and basic geometry.

Is this book suitable for beginners?

It depends on your level of mathematical knowledge and understanding. This book is designed for students who have completed single-variable calculus and are ready to learn about functions with multiple variables. It may also be helpful for those who have some familiarity with multivariable calculus but want to review or deepen their understanding.

How can I get a cheap copy of this book?

There are several ways to get a cheap copy of this book. You can check online marketplaces for used copies, borrow it from a library, or look for digital versions at a lower cost. Additionally, some educational institutions may offer discounts or loan programs for textbooks.