Why Do Superfields Have Quadratic Terms in Theta and Theta Bar?

• Thread starter earth2
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Expansion
In summary, the conversation discusses superfields and their expansion in terms of supercoordinates. The use of \theta \theta as an inner product is explained, as it only contains cross terms and does not vanish due to \theta_i \theta_i = 0. The conversation ends with a thank you for the clarification.
earth2
Hi folks,

I just read some stuff about Susy and encountered superfields and their expansion in terms of the supercoords [tex]x^\mu, \theta, \bar{\theta}[/tex]. Reading that (e.g. in the script of Lykken), I found general expansions like

[tex]S(x,\theta,\bar{\theta})=...+ \theta\theta \psi + ...+\theta\theta\bar{\theta}\bar{\theta} D[/tex]

But how can terms quadratic in theta/theta bar appear if theta and theta bar are grassmann numbers? Their square should vanish!

I don't get it and any help would be appreciated :)
Thanks,
earth2

Physics news on Phys.org
The [itex] \theta \theta [/itex] denotes an inner product. This inner product is antisymmetric, so it only contains cross terms, unlike the inner product from vector analysis or any inner product coming from a diagonal metric! Depending on the convention, one has

[tex]
\theta \theta = \pm 2\theta_1 \theta_2
[/tex]

This doesn't vanish; [itex]\theta_1 \neq \theta_2 [/itex]. However, a term like

[tex]
(\theta \theta) ( \theta \theta) =0
[/tex]

because [itex]\theta_i \theta_i = 0 [/itex].

Glad I could help.

Sorry, i had no internet in the past week. Thank you for your answer :)

What is Superfield Expansion?

Superfield expansion is a technique used in theoretical physics to describe the behavior of supersymmetric systems. It involves expanding the fields used to describe the system into a series of superfields, which incorporate both bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom.

Why is Superfield Expansion important?

Superfield expansion is important because it allows us to study supersymmetric systems in a more convenient and elegant manner. By incorporating both bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom, superfields provide a unified description of these systems and allow us to make predictions about their behavior.

How is Superfield Expansion used in theoretical physics?

Superfield expansion is used extensively in theoretical physics, particularly in the study of supersymmetric field theories and supergravity. It is also used in string theory, where it plays a crucial role in the formulation of the theory.

What are the advantages of using Superfield Expansion?

One of the main advantages of using Superfield Expansion is that it simplifies the description of supersymmetric systems by incorporating both bosonic and fermionic degrees of freedom into a single mathematical framework. This allows us to make predictions and perform calculations more easily and efficiently.

Are there any limitations to Superfield Expansion?

While Superfield Expansion is a powerful tool in theoretical physics, it does have some limitations. For example, it is not always straightforward to choose the appropriate superfields for a given system, and the expansion can become quite complicated for systems with a large number of fields. Additionally, the technique is mainly applicable to supersymmetric theories, so it may not be useful in other areas of physics.