Normal force mastering physics

In summary, the conversation is about ranking items as equivalent and the question of whether normal force depends on mass. The attempted solution suggests that the normal force on the middle bottom and left bottom is the same and therefore cannot be ranked based on mass.
madah12

Homework Statement

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/7550/12929005.png [Broken]

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't think the normal force depends on mass so I wouldn't know how to rank I mean the normal force on the middle bottom and left bottom is the same so how can I rank?( i mean the force from box to wall = -force from wall to box so why would it depend on the mass)

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
madah12 said:
I mean the normal force on the middle bottom and left bottom is the same so how can I rank?
Follow the instructions. "To rank items as equivalent..."

1. What is a normal force in physics?

The normal force is the force that a surface exerts on an object in contact with it. It is perpendicular to the surface and acts to prevent the object from passing through the surface.

2. How is normal force related to weight?

In most cases, the normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object. This is because the normal force acts to support the weight of the object, preventing it from falling through the surface.

3. What factors affect the magnitude of the normal force?

The magnitude of the normal force depends on the weight of the object, the angle of the surface, and any other forces acting on the object.

4. Can the normal force be negative?

No, the normal force cannot be negative. It always acts in a direction perpendicular to the surface, so it can only have a positive magnitude.

5. How is the normal force calculated?

The normal force can be calculated using Newton's second law, which states that the sum of all forces acting on an object is equal to its mass multiplied by its acceleration. In the case of an object on a flat surface, the normal force is equal in magnitude to the weight of the object, so it can also be calculated using the equation FN = mg, where m is the mass of the object and g is the acceleration due to gravity.