What is the potential difference across the capacitor?

In summary, the question asks for the potential difference across a parallel-plate capacitor with dimensions of 2.1cm x 2.1cm and a charge of +- 0.705 nC, and a spacing of 1.20mm. The formula to use is C = epsilon * A/d, where epsilon = 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m, A = 0.021 * 0.021 m^2, and d = 1.2 x 10^-3 m. After plugging in these values, the potential difference is calculated to be 2.17 volts. Multiple attempts with 3.25*10^-12 and 2.16*10^11 were
Netsurfer733

Homework Statement

"Two 2.1cm x 2.1cm plates that form a parallel-plate capacitor are charged to +- 0.705 nC. What is the potential difference across the capacitor if the spacing between the plates is 1.20mm? "

Homework Equations

C = Q/V

C = epsilon * A/d

The Attempt at a Solution

I figure epsilon = 8.85 x 10^-12 F/m
A = area of plates = 0.021 * 0.021 m^2
d = separation of plates = 1.2 x 10^-3 m

And so I've tried plugging it all in and I still didn't get it right. In my attempts, I've tried answering with 2.17, 3.25*10^-12 , and 2.16*10^11 with no luck. Can anyone point out where I've gone wrong?

Physics news on Phys.org
Have you calculated the potential difference or just tried numbers in random? Show your calculations in detail.

ehild

I did - but I apparently suffered a flurry of math errors. I got it anyway :)

1. What is potential difference?

Potential difference, also known as voltage, is the difference in electric potential energy between two points in an electric circuit. It is measured in volts (V).

2. How is potential difference related to a capacitor?

Potential difference is related to a capacitor because it is the driving force that causes charge to flow from one plate of the capacitor to the other. The potential difference across a capacitor is directly proportional to the amount of charge stored on the plates.

3. How is potential difference calculated for a capacitor?

The potential difference across a capacitor can be calculated by dividing the charge stored on the plates by the capacitance of the capacitor. This can be represented by the equation V = Q/C, where V is the potential difference, Q is the charge, and C is the capacitance.

4. What factors affect the potential difference across a capacitor?

The potential difference across a capacitor can be affected by the amount of charge stored on the plates, the distance between the plates, and the material of the plates. It is also influenced by the type of dielectric material used between the plates.

5. Why is potential difference important in understanding capacitors?

Potential difference is important in understanding capacitors because it determines the amount of energy that can be stored in the capacitor and affects the overall behavior of the circuit. It is also a key factor in determining the capacitance of the capacitor.