Proving Normality of a Quotient Group: A Shortcut Method

In summary, the conversation discusses a result related to normal subgroups and the third isomorphism theorem. The main question is how to prove that a normal subgroup of G is also normal in G/N. The conversation suggests using a homomorphism and the calculation in G/N to show that the result holds.
Hjensen
I have a question I need to resolve before my exam on thursday. It relates to the following result:

Let [itex]N[/itex] be a normal subgroup of [itex]G[/itex], and let [itex]K[/itex] be any subgroup of [itex]G[/itex] containing [itex]N[/itex]. Then [itex]K/N[/itex] is a subgroup of [itex]G/N[/itex]. Furthermore, [itex]K/N[/itex] is normal in [itex]G/N[/itex] if and only if [itex]K[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex].

The first part is rather simple, and half of the other statement is just from the third isomorphism theorem. What I want to prove is, that [itex]K/N[/itex] normal in [itex]G/N[/itex] implies that [itex]K[/itex] is normal in [itex]G[/itex]. I suppose I could define a homomorphism like

[itex]G\rightarrow G/N\rightarrow (G/N)/(K/N)[/itex]

with kernel [itex]K[/itex]. That just seems like a lot of work to prove something which is probably rather simple. If I have to go through this at my exam, I'd prefer not to spend much time on this particular result. Does anyone have an idea for a short proof?

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to prove for every [itex]k\in K[/itex] that [itex]gkg^{-1}\in K[/itex].
But if we do the calculation in G/N, then we get by normality of K/N that

[tex][gkg^{-1}]=[g][k][g]^{-1}\in K/N[/tex]

By definition, this means that there is a k' in K and a n in N such that [itex]gkg^{-1}=k^\prime n[/itex]. But N is a subset of K, thus [itex]gkg^{-1}\in K[/itex].

Last edited by a moderator:
Using the isomorphism theorems here seems like "killing a fly with a nuke" or whatever the saying is (although your idea of that homomorphism does seem interesting.) micromass seems to have covered the rest.

1. What is the definition of "Normality of a quotient group"?

The normality of a quotient group refers to a group property in which a subgroup of a larger group is invariant under conjugation by elements of the larger group. In simpler terms, it means that the subgroup and its corresponding cosets remain unchanged when multiplied by any element of the larger group.

2. Why is the concept of normality important in group theory?

The concept of normality is important in group theory because it helps us understand the structure and behavior of groups. It allows us to classify groups into different types based on their normality properties, and also provides a powerful tool for proving theorems and solving problems in group theory.

3. How is the normality of a quotient group determined?

The normality of a quotient group can be determined by checking if the cosets of the subgroup are equal to the cosets produced by the left and right multiplication of elements of the larger group. If they are equal, then the subgroup is normal, and if not, it is not normal.

4. What is the significance of a normal subgroup in a quotient group?

A normal subgroup in a quotient group has several significant implications. Firstly, it allows us to define a well-defined operation on the cosets, making the quotient group a valid mathematical object. Additionally, it also helps us to understand the structure of the larger group by studying the normal subgroup and its corresponding quotient group.

5. Can a quotient group be normal if its subgroup is not normal?

No, a quotient group cannot be normal if its subgroup is not normal. The normality of the quotient group is directly dependent on the normality of its subgroup. If the subgroup is not normal, then the quotient group will not have the necessary properties to be considered normal.