50th Anniversary of the Berlin Wall

• Thread starter jtbell
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Wall
In summary, Germany is celebrating the 50th anniversary of the Berlin Wall, which has been a defining image for the country since its construction. This year also marks the 50th anniversary of the IBM Selectric typewriter, a revolutionary design that dominated office spaces for 25 years. Additionally, it is the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight, achieved by Soviet cosmonaut Yuri Gagarin in 1961. And finally, former US President Barack Obama has just turned 50.
jtbell
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Germany marks 50 years since Berlin Wall (BBC)

I was seven years old at the time, so the Berlin Wall was part of my image of Germany as I grew up. In 1972 while I was in college, I visited Germany and got to see the Wall for myself:

Attachments

• Bernauerstr.jpg
    Bernauerstr.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 426
  • Eberswalderstr.jpg
    Eberswalderstr.jpg
    70.5 KB · Views: 474
  • Charlie.jpg
    Charlie.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 430
Physics news on Phys.org
A bit of context for the period:

2011 is also the 50th anniversary year of IBMs electric typewriter

Armonk, NY, USA - 27 Jul 2011: The IBM (NYSE: IBM) Selectric typewriter turns 50 on July 31, commemorating a design icon that revolutionized the day-to-day lives of office workers around the world. The Selectric's half-century birthday coincides with IBM's Centennial year and the release of a new U.S. postage stamp honoring the Selectric as an icon of design.

The IBM Selectric became an instant sensation upon its debut on July 31, 1961, and remained the typewriter found on most office desks until the brand was retired 25 years later, in 1986...
http://www-03.ibm.com/press/us/en/pressrelease/35140.wss

and the 50th anniversary of the first manned space flight
Yuri Alekseyevich Gagarin (Russian: Ю́рий Алексе́евич Гага́рин,[1] Russian pronunciation: [ˈjurʲɪj ɐlʲɪˈksʲejɪvʲɪtɕ ɡɐˈɡarʲɪn]; 9 March 1934 – 27 March 1968) was a Soviet pilot and cosmonaut. He was the first human being to journey into outer space, when his Vostok spacecraft completed an orbit of the Earth on April 12, 1961...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yuri_Gagarin

Also, Obama just turned 50.

What was the significance of the Berlin Wall's 50th anniversary?

The 50th anniversary of the Berlin Wall marked a major milestone in world history. It symbolized the end of a divided city and the reunification of Germany after decades of separation.

When was the Berlin Wall built and when was it torn down?

The Berlin Wall was built in 1961 by the Soviet Union to prevent East Germans from fleeing to the West. It was torn down on November 9, 1989, after months of peaceful protests and political change in Eastern Europe.

What impact did the Berlin Wall have on the world?

The Berlin Wall had a significant impact on the world both politically and socially. It represented the divide between communist and capitalist ideologies during the Cold War and was a symbol of oppression and restriction for those living in East Germany.

How did the fall of the Berlin Wall affect international relations?

The fall of the Berlin Wall marked the end of the Cold War and had a major impact on international relations. It led to the reunification of Germany and the collapse of communism in Eastern Europe, resulting in a shift in global power dynamics.

What lessons can we learn from the 50th anniversary of the Berlin Wall?

The 50th anniversary of the Berlin Wall serves as a reminder of the consequences of division and the importance of unity and cooperation. It also highlights the power of peaceful resistance and the ability of people to bring about change through collective action.