IQ Question on teams and matches

• Thread starter physics kiddy
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Iq
In summary, the conversation discusses a round robin competition with 11 teams and no drawn matches. The difference between the maximum and minimum score is 8, and there are 3 teams with the same score. The question asks for the score of the fourth-ranked team, assuming that teams with equal scores are ranked the same. The conversation also mentions using a guess-and-check method to solve the problem.
physics kiddy

Homework Statement

There are 11 teams playing in a round robin way. Winning a match gives one point and loosing a match gives none. There is no draw in the entire series. If the difference between maximum and minimum score is 8 and there are exactly 3 teams whose scores are same. Find out the score of the team which is ranked fourth according to scores if the teams scored equally are ranked the same.

Homework Equations

I don't have any.

3. My attempt

I arranged the scores from 9 to 1. and guessed that the answer is 6.

Physics news on Phys.org
In each round, there are how many possible points that could be won? Multiply this by the total number of rounds, and you will see the total number of points that can be won over the competition, and this might help you arrange the scores.

I think the question says that the only repeated score is that where three teams are tied on a score, and otherwise different teams have different scores. Combine this with the spread of 8 points (three possibilities) and the total number of points available to establish all the individual team point scores.

Please give me the solution. I have my exams on the 18th and I am frustrated. I don't have time to think.

physics kiddy said:
Please give me the solution. I have my exams on the 18th and I am frustrated. I don't have time to think.
Will we also be with when you take your exam ?

Can you explain how you arrived at your answer?

Last edited:
daveb said:
In each round, there are how many possible points that could be won? Multiply this by the total number of rounds, and you will see the total number of points that can be won over the competition, and this might help you arrange the scores.

physics kiddy said:
I arranged the scores from 9 to 1. and guessed that the answer is 6.
I used daveb's suggestion, combined with your attempt, to come up with a solution. I hope that you aren't required to use any specific method, because I just used the ol' guess-and-check. So I would read daveb's post again and think about it.

There are how many total points to be won, across all teams? Call this P.

There are THREE options initially to investigate for a range of 8 points: 2 to 10, 1 to 9 and 0 to 8.

Ignoring the repeated scores, there must be a team with every possible (integer) points value in range (no drawn matches, so only integers).

Still ignoring the repeat scores, these give a total points score of X, Y or Z

Therefore the two other teams (who are tied for points with one of these) must have (P-X)/2 or (P-Y)/2 or (P-Z)/2 points

Which of these options is feasible?

1. What is the purpose of an IQ question on teams and matches?

The purpose of an IQ question on teams and matches is to evaluate a person's ability to think critically and solve complex problems related to team dynamics and match outcomes. It can also assess a person's logical reasoning and analytical skills.

2. How is an IQ question on teams and matches different from other IQ questions?

An IQ question on teams and matches is different from other IQ questions because it requires a specific knowledge base and understanding of team dynamics and match strategies. It also requires the ability to apply logical reasoning and critical thinking skills in a sports-related context.

3. Can IQ questions on teams and matches be used to predict success in sports?

No, IQ questions on teams and matches should not be used to predict success in sports. While a high IQ may be beneficial in understanding and analyzing team dynamics and match strategies, success in sports also depends on physical abilities, practice, and other factors.

4. Are IQ questions on teams and matches culturally biased?

IQ questions on teams and matches are not inherently culturally biased. However, cultural differences may play a role in a person's understanding of team dynamics and match strategies, which could impact their performance on these types of IQ questions.

5. How can I improve my performance on IQ questions on teams and matches?

To improve your performance on IQ questions on teams and matches, you can study and learn more about team dynamics and match strategies. You can also practice critical thinking and logical reasoning skills in a sports-related context. Additionally, staying physically active and participating in team sports can also improve your understanding of team dynamics and match strategies.