Super-fluid 4He - (two domains)

• Thread starter ibysaiyan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    domains
In summary, the conversation discusses a review article on low temperature physics and the discovery of the "Lambda transition" in super liquid helium. The bolded part raises a question about the meaning of "normal" in this context and the relationship between He II and Bose-Einstein condensate. The response clarifies that normal fluid refers to the non-superfluid part and that He II is similar to a BEC because all atoms are in the ground state.
ibysaiyan
Hi PF ,

I am making a review article which is mainly based on low temperature physics , upon going through my search I have stumbled across the famous " Lambda transition" of super liquid helium. Paraphrasing what some of the books said : " In the He II domain a percentage of atoms in same quantum state act as a single entity , while the rest of the percentage is made up of atoms which have different quantum states ( another book says normal , what do they mean by normal ? vector [position ?] , the overall density stays constant " .

I need bit of a clarification on the bold bit , also it's said that as the temperature is dropped to absolute zero , the number of atoms ( normal) decreases.

I know that in Q.M particles are said to obey einstein-bose statistics if they have an integer spin of zero , so in what way is He II similar to Bose- Einstein condensate.

I appreciate your help.

-ibysaiyan

Physics news on Phys.org
You need to check the two fluid model for superfluids. Here is one link I got from Google

http://www.yutopian.com/Yuan/TFM.html

Normal fluid represents the non-superfluid part. Nothing to do with vectors.

He-II is a BEC because all of the He atom are in the ground state and can be described by a single wave function.

1. What is super-fluid 4He?

Super-fluid 4He (helium-4) is a unique state of matter that exhibits zero viscosity, or resistance to flow. It is created when helium-4 is cooled to temperatures near absolute zero (-273.15°C or -459.67°F).

2. How is super-fluid 4He different from regular liquid helium?

The main difference between super-fluid 4He and regular liquid helium is the lack of viscosity in super-fluid 4He. This means that it can flow without any resistance and can even climb up the walls of its container.

3. What are the two domains of super-fluid 4He?

The two domains of super-fluid 4He are the A phase and the B phase. The A phase has a higher density and higher critical temperature, while the B phase has a lower density and lower critical temperature.

4. How is super-fluid 4He used in scientific research?

Super-fluid 4He is used in a variety of scientific research, including studies on quantum mechanics, low-temperature physics, and superconductivity. It is also used in cryogenics for cooling sensitive instruments and materials to extremely low temperatures.

5. Can super-fluid 4He be observed in everyday life?

No, super-fluid 4He can only be observed at extremely low temperatures near absolute zero. It is not present in everyday life and can only be produced in specialized laboratory settings.