Resistors that doesn't affect the others

• Thread starter stardust006
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Resistors
In summary, the conversation discusses an experiment involving resistors R1, R2, R3, R4, and R5. R1 and R2 are in series, while R3 and R4 are in parallel. The total resistance (RT) is calculated by solving for R1, R2, R3, and R4. The question is raised about the purpose of R5, which is in the middle and connected to the ends of R1, R2, R4, and R5. It is explained that according to the Wheatstone bridge principle, no current should be flowing through R5. There is also a mention of a typo in the Wikipedia article on the Wheatstone bridge.
stardust006
hello! we got this experiment,

R1= 46.8
R2= 46.8
R3= 148.9
R4= 147.7
R5= 217
RT= 71.1

as we can see, r1 and r2 are in series, while r3 and r4 are in series also and they are parallel to each other while r5 is on the middle, we got the RT by solving for r1,r2,r3 and r4.

and here's the question, we did not consider r5 but we got a right RT, what is the r5's work? what does it do on the connection? i am really confused. >.<

Physics news on Phys.org
I do not see a picture but from your expose I assume by R5 being in the middle you mean one end of R5 is connected to where R1 and R2 meet and the other end of R5 is connected to where R4 and R5 meet. If you then calculate the voltage at both ends of R5 you will see that it is the same and thus no current should be flowing through R5. Look up wheatstone bridge.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wheatstone_bridge
Note that there is an typo in the wiki article - the first sentence after heading OPERATION should read "..., and resistance of Rx is adjustable."

Yes, thanks a lot! :)

1. How do resistors work?

Resistors are electronic components that limit the flow of electric current in a circuit. They are made of materials with high resistance, such as carbon or metal, which reduces the amount of electricity flowing through them.

2. Can resistors affect each other in a circuit?

No, resistors are designed to be independent components in a circuit. They do not interact with each other and their values do not change based on the presence of other resistors in the circuit.

3. What is the purpose of having resistors that do not affect each other?

Having resistors that do not affect each other allows for precise control of the flow of electricity in a circuit. This is important in many applications, such as in electronic devices, where specific voltages and currents need to be maintained.

4. Are there any factors that can cause resistors to affect each other?

In general, resistors do not affect each other. However, factors such as temperature and voltage fluctuations can impact the resistance of a resistor, which can indirectly affect other components in the circuit.

5. How do I choose the right resistors for my circuit?

The resistance value of a resistor is typically marked on the component itself. To choose the right resistor for your circuit, you need to know the required resistance and the power rating (wattage) of the resistor. You can then select a resistor with the appropriate resistance and power rating for your circuit.