Help Choosing Career: Physics vs Engineering for Private Sector Job

• Thread starter question123
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Career
In summary, the conversation covers the topic of the speaker's dream job - developing products in new technology for a private company. The speaker is deciding between pursuing an undergraduate degree in math/physics or engineering, with a preference for math/physics. They express a fear of being "stuck" in academia if they pursue physics, but the other person reassures them that most physics students eventually end up in the private sector. They also discuss the advantages of studying engineering for a job in product development. The conversation ends with a question about the utility of a degree in physics compared to a master's degree in engineering.
question123
First of all, I know that some topic might cover my question but I felt I needed to write this ( maybe to calm myself) :)

To summarise, my dream job would be to develop product in the new technology (quantum computing as an example) for private company. A decent salary would be nice also.

In a couple week, I'll have to decide if I start a undergratuade degree in honours math/phys or in spatial or physical engineering. At first, my choice would be math/phys and I am planning to pursue with graduate study.

Now:my big fear! After many research and talking to my teacher, I'm afraid that as I finish my physics study (at least a major) I will be (no disrespect to those who chose this path) stuck in a university. My fear is also the reason why I'm considering engineering, because I think that this path is more likely to open the gate of private sector.

So is it true that majoring in physics traps you in a university or is there hope to work for the private sector with a decent salary? Also, as I told you my dream job, would engineering be more appropriate than physics or am I wrong?

Thanks a lot! (Hope that my text didn't annoy you to much):blushing:

Physics news on Phys.org
You mentioned you wanted a job developing physical products for a private company. In terms of that goal a degree in engineering is probably the clearest and most direct path. It depends of course on what exactly you want to work on.

Addressing your question about being trapped in academia because of physics, that is not generally true in my experience. At least in the United States it seems most people that do physics in school (both undergraduate and graduate), end up in the private sector eventually. I made the transition from physics to software development. I did however need a lot more programming/development knowledge and experience than one would necessarily get during the course of a physics PhD.

I'm always mind-boggled by these concerns coming from what seem like HS students usually without any foresight into how different things could get while studying in college.

A preference for subject matter can change, your dream job might change, things can change. It's definitely good to have a track and set yourself on that track but you should realize that things change and everyone has the power to change things which is why there should not be a fear of being "stuck".

question123 said:
Maybe I shouldn't be afraid, but after searching through internet I Mostly

found horror story of physicist ending up in job in academia even if they didnt want to. Not saying that academia is horror... But as of today, that's not what I consider even though it might change

Horror stories of being stuck in academia? considering how competitive it is to get a professorship in academia I doubt there are many of these stories.

gbeagle said:
You mentioned you wanted a job developing physical products for a private company. In terms of that goal a degree in engineering is probably the clearest and most direct path. It depends of course on what exactly you want to work on.

Addressing your question about being trapped in academia because of physics, that is not generally true in my experience. At least in the United States it seems most people that do physics in school (both undergraduate and graduate), end up in the private sector eventually. I made the transition from physics to software development. I did however need a lot more programming/development knowledge and experience than one would necessarily get during the course of a physics PhD.

I agree with gbeagle - studying engineering is an excellent preparation for someone who wants to make products with new technology.

Also, at least in the US, getting a job with an engineering degree is much easier than doing so with a physics degree.

So I guess that people studying physics are the one interested in fundamental research and the one studying engineering are more likely to do R and D for private company?

Also, any utility to have a degree in physics than a master degree in engineering?

What is the difference between physics and engineering?

Physics is a branch of science that deals with the study of matter, energy, and the fundamental laws of the universe. It focuses on understanding the natural world and its behavior. On the other hand, engineering is the application of scientific and mathematical principles to design and build structures, machines, and systems to solve practical problems.

Which career path, physics or engineering, is more suitable for a job in the private sector?

Both physics and engineering have a wide range of job opportunities in the private sector. However, engineering is more directly applicable to the private sector as it involves designing and building solutions to real-world problems. Physics, on the other hand, is more focused on research and theoretical concepts that may not have immediate practical applications in the private sector.

What skills are necessary for a career in physics or engineering in the private sector?

Some important skills for a career in physics include critical thinking, problem-solving, data analysis, and strong mathematical abilities. For engineering, important skills include creativity, technical knowledge, analytical skills, and the ability to work in a team. Additionally, both careers require strong communication and computer skills.

What are some potential job titles in the private sector for someone with a degree in physics or engineering?

For physics, potential job titles in the private sector include research scientist, data analyst, technical writer, and consultant. For engineering, potential job titles include mechanical engineer, civil engineer, software engineer, and project manager. However, there are many other job titles available in both fields depending on the specific industry and company.

Can someone with a degree in physics switch to a career in engineering, or vice versa?

It is possible for someone with a degree in physics to switch to a career in engineering, or vice versa. Many skills and concepts are transferable between the two fields, and there are also opportunities for further education and training to bridge the gap. However, it may require additional coursework or on-the-job training to gain the necessary skills and knowledge for a successful transition.