I am wondering if this would work:I need to sublimate compound 1

• Thread starter morgan8222
  • Start date
In summary, successful sublimation of compound 1 depends on its properties and the conditions under which it is being sublimated. The benefits of sublimating compound 1 include purification without solvents, potential for higher yield, and convenience. To sublimate compound 1, a sublimation apparatus and possibly a vacuum pump and cold trap are needed. The appropriate sublimation conditions can be determined by considering melting and boiling points and conducting a trial sublimation. Safety precautions when sublimating compound 1 include wearing protective equipment and working in a well-ventilated area.
morgan8222
I am wondering if this would work:

I need to sublimate compound 1 (mp 175-177 C) from compound 2 (206-208 C) at 120 C at atmospheric pressure. Crystals are found and the solids melting point is 150-160 C.

Could anyone help me? I am not completely clear.

Chemistry news on Phys.org

Virtually impossible to tell without structure or description of your compound. It is mostly likely organic with a low MP like those. You haven't tried recrystallization, titruation, or chromatography first?

1. Can compound 1 be successfully sublimated?

The success of sublimating compound 1 depends on its properties and the conditions under which it is being sublimated. It is important to consult the compound's melting and boiling points, as well as its vapor pressure, to determine if sublimation is a viable option.

2. What are the benefits of sublimating compound 1?

Sublimation offers several benefits, including the ability to purify a compound without the use of solvents, the potential to produce a higher yield compared to other purification methods, and the convenience of being able to purify directly from the solid state.

3. What equipment is needed for sublimating compound 1?

To sublimate compound 1, you will need a sublimation apparatus, which typically consists of a heating source, a condenser, and a collection vessel. You may also need a vacuum pump and a cold trap to aid in the sublimation process.

4. How do I determine the appropriate sublimation conditions for compound 1?

The appropriate sublimation conditions for compound 1 can be determined by considering its melting and boiling points, as well as its vapor pressure. Additionally, conducting a small-scale trial sublimation can help determine the optimal temperature and pressure for successful sublimation.

5. Are there any safety precautions to take when sublimating compound 1?

Yes, it is important to wear appropriate personal protective equipment, such as gloves and safety glasses, when handling and sublimating compound 1. It is also important to work in a well-ventilated area to avoid inhaling any potentially harmful vapors.