Graduate School Electrical Engineering with a BS in Math

In summary: She told me that she didn't have any difficulty getting into a masters program with only a bs in math. If you have a strong GPA and a good resume, you should be able to get into any EE graduate program.In summary, if you are missing 1 semester of EE, it shouldn't prevent you from completing your entire BS in EE. However, if you want to pursue a graduate degree, you'll need to complete at least 2 more EE undergraduate semesters.
srl17
My long range educational goal is to complete a PhD program in Electrical Engineering. I am currently enrolled in a dual degree program to get a BS in Math completed in the Spring and my BS in EE completed in the Fall of 2013. There is a specific federal engineering job I was interested in pursuing after I got done with my undergrad degrees. I planned on pursuing graduate education part time after a few years in the industry.

There aren't always job openings but it is pretty much a walk on but I would have to start right after I finish the BS in Math in April and that would leave 1 semester left for my undergrad EE degree. If I take the job would there be any difficulty in applying to a graduate EE program with a BS in math and 1 semester left on a BS in EE.

Any opinions?
Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, if missing one semester of EE doesn't prevent you're entire graduation, then you should be good to go to EE graduate programs with your n - 1 semesters of EE studies. Your work experience will support your application to the graduate program, if the work is related to the field.

I agree with Internet Human. It shouldn't affect your application at all. If there is some way you can finish that last semester, maybe negotiate with your new job or something, you should do it. You're so close!

I know, it's so close, that is what makes this potential decision so tough. I'd be only one semester from completing both, but with a wife and kid it's also hard to turn down a great salary with great benefits.

If I take the job I'd have to relocate, which means transferring and from my understanding most Universities require at least 25-30 credits from that school to grant a degree so that would mean 2 more EE undergrad semesters. I'd rather just apply straight to EE grad when the time comes. Hopefully I can talk them into waiting for me 14 months instead of 8 months.

My thinking was inline with both your comments, but I appreciate the feedback as it makes me feel more comfortable if I can't get them to agree to wait till December of next year.

I know a friend who did a major in math and a minor in physics, she's doing her masters in electrical engineering now focusing on integrated nano-electronics.

1. What is the difference between studying Electrical Engineering and Math in graduate school?

The main difference between studying Electrical Engineering and Math in graduate school is that Electrical Engineering focuses on the application of mathematical principles to design, analyze, and improve electrical systems and devices, while Math focuses on the theoretical and abstract concepts of mathematics. Electrical Engineering also includes courses in physics and computer science, while Math may have more advanced courses in pure mathematics.

2. Do I need a background in Electrical Engineering to pursue a graduate degree in this field with a BS in Math?

No, a background in Electrical Engineering is not necessary to pursue a graduate degree in this field with a BS in Math. Many graduate programs in Electrical Engineering accept students with a strong math background and offer bridge courses to help them catch up with the necessary engineering concepts.

3. Can I specialize in a specific area of Electrical Engineering with a BS in Math?

Yes, many graduate programs in Electrical Engineering offer specializations in areas such as power systems, signal processing, control systems, and telecommunications. Your BS in Math can provide a solid foundation for these specializations, as math is a fundamental aspect of all branches of engineering.

4. What career opportunities are available for someone with a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering and a BS in Math?

A graduate degree in Electrical Engineering and a BS in Math can open up a variety of career opportunities, such as working in research and development, product design and testing, consulting, or teaching at the university level. You may also find opportunities in industries such as telecommunications, electronics, power generation, and computer hardware and software.

5. How long does it typically take to complete a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering with a BS in Math?

The length of time it takes to complete a graduate degree in Electrical Engineering with a BS in Math can vary depending on the specific program and whether you are pursuing a master's or doctoral degree. On average, it takes 2-3 years to complete a master's degree and 4-6 years to complete a doctoral degree. This time frame may be longer if you are also working while pursuing your degree.