I calculating the number of Electrons? (Current/Electron Density/Velocity)

• Thread starter bmb2009
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Electrons
In summary, the conversation discusses calculating the number of protons in a beam traveling at the speed of light in the Tevatron at Fermilab, which carries 11.17 mA of current around a 6.3-km circumference. The person is unsure about the equations to use as they require the value of cross-sectional area, and they ask for help in understanding the concept of current density.
bmb2009

Homework Statement

How many protons are in the beam traveling at the speed of light in the Tevatron at Fermilab, which is carrying 11.17 mA of current around the 6.3-km circumference of the main Tevatron ring?

Homework Equations

Not sure...

The Attempt at a Solution

I don't know how to calculate the the protons (electrons). I tried multiple different things but al the equations I have use the Cross Sectional area value (A) which can't be found from the given information.

I tried manipulating such equations as

current density = (number of electrons)(e)(drift velocity)

and other similar equations but the all contain some form of the value of A?

Please help :(

Physics news on Phys.org

What is current?

voko said:
What is current?

and how do you find J {current density} from I {current} and a circumference?

Liquidxlax said:
and how do you find J {current density} from I {current} and a circumference?

What is the significance of current density here?

Ok got it! Thank You!

1. How do you calculate the number of electrons in a substance?

The number of electrons in a substance can be calculated using Avogadro's number (6.022 x 10^23) and the substance's molar mass. First, divide the substance's molar mass by Avogadro's number to get the number of moles. Then, multiply the number of moles by Avogadro's number to get the number of electrons.

2. What is electron density and how is it calculated?

Electron density is a measure of the number of electrons present in a given unit of volume. It is calculated by dividing the number of electrons in a substance by its volume. This is typically expressed in units of electrons per cubic centimeter (e/cm^3).

3. How does current affect the number of electrons in a substance?

Current is a measure of the flow of electric charge, and the number of electrons in a substance is related to its charge. Therefore, an increase in current will result in an increase in the number of electrons in a substance, and a decrease in current will result in a decrease in the number of electrons.

4. Can the velocity of electrons be calculated?

Yes, the velocity of electrons can be calculated using the equation v = i/nA, where v is the electron velocity, i is the current, n is the number of electrons, and A is the cross-sectional area of the substance. This equation is based on the principle of electron drift, which states that the average velocity of electrons in a conductor is directly proportional to the current and inversely proportional to the cross-sectional area.

5. How does temperature impact the number of electrons in a substance?

Temperature can impact the number of electrons in a substance in a few ways. First, as temperature increases, the kinetic energy of the electrons also increases, causing them to move more quickly. Additionally, changes in temperature can also affect the atomic structure of a substance, potentially altering the number of electrons in an atom and therefore impacting the overall number of electrons in the substance.