Natural Log on Radioactive Decay Formula

In summary: Internet is amazing!In summary, the initial amount of radioactive atoms on a sample of 24Na is 10^10. It's half-life corresponds to 15 hours. After 15 hours, it's 1/2, after 30 hours it's 1/4 etc. so after 24 hours it's 1/224/15 = 1/28/5.
jucristina

Homework Statement

The initial amount of radioactive atoms on a sample of 24Na is 10^10. It's half-life corresponds to 15 hours. Give the amount of 24Na atoms that will disintegrate in 1 day.

Homework Equations

I started to solve it using the formula N=Initial Amount of Atoms / e^(λxTime/Half-Life) which ended up as:
10^10 / e^(0.693x24/15)
It is supposed to give me the amount of atoms that did not disintegrate in 1 day so I can continue with the problem but my biggest issue here is understanding how to take the natural log (e) to get to the result which is said to be 0.33x10^10.
Can somedoby please give me easy step by step explanation on the operation above?
Please help before I go crazy. I have an exam soon on which I can NOT use a calculator and it's really important.

The Attempt at a Solution

Final answer is: Initial amount of atoms - Atoms that did not disintegrate= 0.67x10^10. I just do not know how to get there since I got stuck at the formula above. I don't know what to do with the "e" on it.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
"e" is the base of the natural logarithms, e = 2.71828...

Your calculator should have an ##e^x## function button on it.

The basic formula is N = N0exp(-t/T). Letting N = N0/2 let's you solve for the half-life t1/2 = T*ln(2). So, given t1/2 you know T, and now use the basic formula with t = 24 hrs to get N(24hrs).

It's better to derive from fundamentals than memorize formulas which may or may not work out.

Of course,your answer needs to be N0 - N(24hrs).

welcome to pf!

hi jucristina! welcome to pf! :smile:
jucristina said:
… I have an exam soon on which I can NOT use a calculator …

forget the formula, just look at the obvious meaning of half-life :wink:

after 15 hours, it's 1/2, after 30 hours it's 1/4 etc

so after 24 hours it's 1/224/15 = 1/28/5

28 = 256, 35 = 243 (and yes, you should know these!),

so 28/5 must be just over 3 :smile:

tiny-tim said:
28 = 256, 35 = 243 (and yes, you should know these!),

so 28/5 must be just over 3 :smile:

What sort of arcana is this? :bugeye:

Thank you so much! :!) Internet is amazing and I really appreciate you smart people behind it who make this a fantastic tool for learning. :smile:

So now I know that e = 2.71828 and if I use this value on the exercise I posted I can easily find the correct answer. Alright. Gneill mentioned using a calculator but calculators are NOT allowed on exams. Any good idea of how to solve it without one?
Because right now it seems easy but if I have to find 2.71828^1.1088 during my test I will have no idea of where to start from. :|

I will also try to follow the thinking of the other people who answered my topic.
Thank you so much again!

Last edited:

1. What is the natural log on radioactive decay formula?

The natural log on radioactive decay formula is a mathematical representation of the rate at which a radioactive substance decays over time. It is expressed as ln(N/N0) = -kt, where N is the final amount of the substance, N0 is the initial amount, k is the rate constant, and t is the time interval.

2. How is the natural log used in the formula?

The natural log (ln) is used in the formula to calculate the decay rate of a radioactive substance. It is the inverse function of the exponential function, which is commonly used to describe the decay process. The natural log allows for more accurate and precise calculations compared to using other logarithmic functions.

3. Why is the natural log important in understanding radioactive decay?

The natural log is important in understanding radioactive decay because it helps us determine the half-life of a substance, which is the amount of time it takes for half of the initial amount to decay. This information is crucial in various fields such as nuclear medicine, radiocarbon dating, and environmental science.

4. How is the natural log related to the concept of half-life?

The natural log is related to the concept of half-life because it is used to calculate the half-life of a radioactive substance. The half-life can be determined by rearranging the formula to t1/2 = ln(2)/k, where t1/2 is the half-life and k is the rate constant. This shows that the natural log is an essential component in understanding the decay process and determining the half-life.

5. Are there any limitations to using the natural log on radioactive decay formula?

There are some limitations to using the natural log on radioactive decay formula. It assumes that the decay rate is constant over time, which may not always be the case. It also does not take into account any external factors that may affect the decay process, such as temperature or pressure. Additionally, the formula is only applicable to first-order reactions, which may not accurately describe all types of radioactive decay.