Catalyser of hydrogen peroxide

In summary, the substances that could potentially be present in blood to catalyze the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide are MnO2, KMnO4, and FeCl3. However, none of these substances are actually found in blood. The enzyme catalase is the only substance found in blood that is capable of catalyzing the decomposition of hydrogen peroxide.
alingy1
Hello fellow scientists!
I'm confronted to this conundrum:
I've been asked to find which substance present in blood is the catalyser of H2O2:
-MnO2
-KMnO4
-FeCl3
-Fe(NO3)3
I've thought about it for a long time. However, it is said that MnO2 is a catalyser of H2O2 online. Then, I have seen a video that shows the reaction with KMnO4. That reaction is very fast. However, in the video, the chemical equation shows that KMnO4 is no longer KMnO4 at the end, which contradicts the whole concept of a catalyser. I know that iron can be found in blood.
For the components of blood, I could only find that the enzyme catalase was the catalyser.
I'm a bit mixed up. Can you please clarify this?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
I think that any ion with Mn in a positive oxidation state will do the trick, so Mn4+ will be effective and so will Mn7+. I could be wrong here though.

alingy1 said:
I've been asked to find which substance present in blood is the catalyser of H2O2:
-MnO2
-KMnO4
-FeCl3
-Fe(NO3)3

Generally speaking, none of these substances is present in blood.

For the components of blood, I could only find that the enzyme catalase was the catalyser.

That would be my answer.

I agree with you. I researched it and found none of these in blood. I think they entirely simplified the protocole for my lab. (I am in high school by the way.) Unfortunately, I can't really put the enzyme because we're not supposed to know that by now. It is indubitably hard to form a hypothesis. :confused:

Sadly, you are put in a no win situation then.

Just write 'catalase'. You found out about it. :)

It could go against you if you wrote any of the facetious answers that came to my mind about not being supposed to know about anything, so don't.

catalase has four iron-containing heme subunits.

Logically, I would put catalyse. However, staying in the context of the lab, I don't know which one to chose. I'm hesitating between MnO2 and KMnO4. Unfortunately, I can't really justify my hypothesis, plus I have to chose one specific compound. What should I do? :frown:

iron chloride and iron nitrate both catalyze the decomposition of peroxide. I have used ferric chloride to render safe for disposal a rather large quantity of 30% peroxide. Any transition metal decomposes it and you must take precautions against contaminating stock solutions of peroxides.

1. What is a catalyser of hydrogen peroxide?

A catalyser of hydrogen peroxide is a substance that speeds up the reaction between hydrogen peroxide and another substance, known as a substrate. It does this by lowering the activation energy required for the reaction to occur, making it happen more quickly.

2. How does a catalyser work with hydrogen peroxide?

A catalyser works by providing an alternative reaction pathway for the hydrogen peroxide to follow. This pathway requires less energy, allowing the reaction to occur at a faster rate. The catalyser itself is not consumed in the reaction and can be used repeatedly.

3. What types of substances can act as a catalyser for hydrogen peroxide?

There are many substances that can act as a catalyser for hydrogen peroxide, including enzymes, transition metals, and metal oxides. These substances all have specific properties that allow them to interact with the hydrogen peroxide and lower the activation energy for the reaction to occur.

4. What are some common uses for catalysers of hydrogen peroxide?

Catalysers of hydrogen peroxide are used in a variety of industries, including healthcare, food production, and water treatment. They are also commonly used in chemical reactions to produce specific products or to speed up the reaction process.

5. Are there any safety concerns when working with catalysers of hydrogen peroxide?

Yes, there are some safety concerns when working with catalysers of hydrogen peroxide. Some substances, such as metal salts, can be toxic if ingested or inhaled. It is important to handle them with caution and follow all safety protocols to prevent any accidents or harm.