What are the orbital parameters of a planet orbiting a star?

In summary, the star is 59 light years from Earth and has a mass of 1.90×10^30 kg. A large planet of mass 1.20×10^28 kg orbits this star and is attracted to it by a force of 3.50×10^26 N when their centers are separated by a distance equal to the semi-major axis of the planet's orbit. The distance of the semi-major axis is calculated using Newton's Law and is found to be 6.59 x 10^11 m. The period of the planet's orbit is calculated using the equation a = (GmT^2/4pi^2)^1/3. Other undiscovered planets may orbit this star
jaymode
Here is my problem:
The star is 59 light years from the Earth and has a mass of 1.90×1030 kg.

A. A large planet of mass 1.20×1028 kg is known to orbit this star. The planet is attracted to the star by a force of 3.50×1026 N when their centers are separated by a distance equal to the semi-major axis of the planet's orbit. Calculate this distance (in m).

B. What is the period (in days) of this planet's orbit?

C.Other as yet undiscovered planets may orbit this star. If a second planet is in a circular orbit around the star with an orbital period equal to 8.00 times the value found in part (b), what is the radius (in m) of the second planet's orbit?

I have attempted A, but cannot seem to figure out how to get the distance. I was trying to use the equation a = (GmT^2/4pi^2)^1/3

Physics news on Phys.org
jaymode said:
I have attempted A, but cannot seem to figure out how to get the distance. I was trying to use the equation a = (GmT^2/4pi^2)^1/3

Try just Newton's Law on part A:

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

Then use your equation for part B.

SpaceTiger said:
Try just Newton's Law on part A:

[tex]F=\frac{GMm}{r^2}[/tex]

Then use your equation for part B.

That does not work out. I get an incredibly small number which I know is wrong.

nm I was stupid and not doing the math correctly.

For a)

[tex] F = \frac{GMm}{R^2} [/tex]

[tex] R = \sqrt{\frac{GMm}{F}} [/tex]

[tex] R = \sqrt{\frac{6.67x10^{-11} * 1.9 x 10^{30} * 1.2 x 10^{28}}{3.5 x 10^{26}}} = \sqrt{4.35 x 10^{21}} = 6.59 x 10^{11} m[/tex]

No
For b)

a = (GmT^2/4pi^2)^1/3

[tex]a = \frac{3.5x10^{26}}{1.2x10^{28}} [/tex]

G = 6.67 x 10^-11
T = What you want

[tex] \sqrt{\frac{4a^3\pi^2}{Gm}} = T [/tex]

For c)

Find T from above, multiply by 8. Solve for R and find R.

1. What is the relationship between stars and gravitation?

The relationship between stars and gravitation is that stars are held together by the force of gravity. The mass of the star creates a gravitational pull that keeps the star's material from expanding outward.

2. How does gravitation affect the life cycle of a star?

Gravitation plays a crucial role in the life cycle of a star. It causes the initial collapse of a cloud of gas and dust, leading to the formation of a protostar. As the star matures, gravity continues to pull material towards the core, providing the energy needed for nuclear fusion to occur. Eventually, when the star runs out of fuel, gravity causes the star to collapse in on itself, resulting in a supernova explosion or the formation of a black hole.

3. Can gravity cause a star to disappear?

Gravity cannot cause a star to disappear entirely. However, it can cause a star to collapse into a more compact form, such as a neutron star or a black hole. This is because the force of gravity becomes so strong that it overcomes all other forces, including the pressure created by nuclear fusion.

4. How do scientists measure the gravitational pull of a star?

Scientists measure the gravitational pull of a star by observing its impact on other objects, such as planets or other stars. They can also use the Doppler effect to measure the star's gravitational pull by studying its effect on the light spectrum of nearby objects.

5. Can stars have different levels of gravitation?

Yes, stars can have different levels of gravitation. The strength of a star's gravitational pull depends on its mass. The more massive a star is, the stronger its gravitational pull will be. This is why massive stars have a shorter lifespan compared to smaller stars, as they burn through their fuel at a faster rate due to their stronger gravitational pull.