Why do objects reflect light (microscopic point of view)

In summary, the conversation discusses how objects reflect, absorb, and transmit light based on their refractive index and the microscopic view of light interaction. The conditions for light to be transmitted, absorbed, and reflected are also explained, with references to the energy levels of electrons in the molecules. The conversation also recommends further reading on the topic, with a specific example of the QED description of reflection.
tsopa
Hi,
I can explain why objects reflect, absorb or transmit light by referring to the objects' refractive index (differnece of the refractive index of two media).

I'd like to know if there is a microscopic point of vue that can explain why objects reflect light?
For example
* Light is transmitted if the band gap of molecules (LUMO - HOMO) in the object is larger than the energy of the incident light (hv)
* Light is absorbed if the energy of the incident light (hv) correspond to specific energy levels of the electrons in the molecule.
* And what is the condition for light to be reflected? And can anyone recommend me some books or websites that I could read to get more informations about this?

Science news on Phys.org
Light interacts with "surface" electrons (i.e. in a metal) and get scattered.
Light scattered into the object you don't get the see. Light scattered back may contribute to a reflection.

See:
http://vega.org.uk/video/subseries/8
... one of the examples is the QED description of reflection ... how the arbitrary scattering ends up as the law of reflection, in terms of photons, source, mirror and detector.

1. Why do objects reflect light?

Objects reflect light because of the microscopic structure of their surface. The surface of most objects is made up of tiny particles or molecules that are arranged in a specific pattern. When light hits the surface, it bounces off of these particles and reflects in different directions, allowing us to see the object.

2. How does the structure of an object's surface affect its ability to reflect light?

The structure of an object's surface plays a crucial role in determining its ability to reflect light. Objects with smooth and even surfaces reflect light more efficiently, while rough and irregular surfaces may scatter the light in different directions, resulting in a less reflective appearance.

3. Can all objects reflect light?

Yes, all objects have the potential to reflect light. However, some objects may reflect more light than others depending on their surface structure and the properties of the incident light, such as its intensity and wavelength. Some objects may also absorb or transmit light instead of reflecting it.

4. What is the difference between specular and diffuse reflection?

Specular reflection occurs when light hits a smooth and shiny surface, like a mirror, and bounces off at a specific angle. This results in a clear and distinct reflection. On the other hand, diffuse reflection occurs when light hits a rough surface and is scattered in different directions, creating a less defined reflection.

5. How does the color of an object affect its ability to reflect light?

The color of an object is determined by the wavelengths of light that it reflects or absorbs. Objects that appear white reflect all wavelengths of light, while objects that appear black absorb all wavelengths. The color of an object can also affect its ability to reflect light, with lighter colors typically reflecting more light than darker colors.