Handshaking at a Party: Bill's Spouse Shook How Many Hands?

• Thread starter T@P
  • Start date
  • Tags
    hand
In summary, at a party where 5 couples attend and shake hands with everyone they don't know, one known loser named Bill asks how many times each person shook hands. His spouse's number of handshakes is 4. This is because couples with 0 and 8 handshakes are one couple, as well as couples with 1 and 7 handshakes. This logic can be applied to pairs of 2,6 and 3,5 as well. This is a fun and interesting handshaking question to ask people.
T@P
this is possibly the only interesting hand shaking question i know of:

5 couples go to a party. at the party everyone shakes hands with every one they don't know. (note: its not a blind date thing, i mean everyone knows their spouse)

at the end, Bill, the known loser, asks everyone how many times they shook hands. after, he promptly forgets who told him what number, but he knows that as an answer he got every number from 0 to 8 inclusive. he doesn't ask himself.

how many times did his spouse shake hands?

Physics news on Phys.org
Excellent one. Is it 4?

Logic is in white.

Persons with 0 and 8 handshakes are one couple(otherwise the person with 8 handshakes can have maximum 7 handshakes). Persons with 1 and 7 handshakes are one couple. Otherwise person with 7 handshake can have maximum 6 handshakes (excluding his/her, his/her spouse, person with 0 handshakes and person with 1 handshake(person with one handshake already did it with person with 8 handshakes)). So are 2,6 and 3,5 are couples.

If I am correct, thanks for sharpening my rusting brain. :redface:

exactly! good work. it is one of the better logic/handshake ones isn't it :)

I especially like how when you first hear the question its like whoa - whos Bill.

but then it makes sense. :wink:

this is actually fun to ask people you know. some people get it right off, some need the hint that 0 and 8 are married, and some just can't do it even with the hint.

1. How many hands did Bill's spouse shake at the party?

It is impossible to determine an exact number without more information. It depends on the number of people at the party and the duration of the event.

2. Why is it important to know how many hands Bill's spouse shook?

Knowing how many hands were shaken can give us an idea of their level of social interaction and engagement at the party.

3. Was it appropriate for Bill's spouse to shake that many hands?

As long as the handshakes were respectful and consensual, there is no set number of handshakes that would be considered inappropriate.

4. How does handshaking at a party affect the spread of germs?

Handshaking can be a way to transmit germs, especially if proper hand hygiene is not followed. It is always important to wash your hands before and after handshaking, especially during flu season or when someone is feeling ill.

5. Are there any cultural or gender differences in handshaking at parties?

Yes, there can be cultural and gender differences in handshaking. Some cultures may have different norms for when and how to shake hands, and some people may be more or less comfortable with handshaking based on their gender. It is important to be respectful and considerate of cultural and personal preferences when greeting others at a party.