Direct Sum and Direct Product: Understanding the Differences in Vector Spaces

I think.We have two vector spaces V_1 and V_2 with bases \{e_i\} and \{f_i\}. A basis for the direct product space V_1\otimes V_2 can be taken as \{e_i\otimes f_j\}. So an element w of this space would look like (summation convention):w=A^{ij}e_i\otimes f_j In summary, the tensor product space is defined as the direct product space of two vector spaces, with its basis being formed by the tensor product of the bases of the original spaces. An element in this space is then represented as a sum of products of coefficients and basis vectors
Travis091
The definition (taken from Robert Gilmore's: Lie groups, Lie algebras, and some of their applications):

We have two vector spaces [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex] with bases [itex]\{e_i\}[/itex] and [itex]\{f_i\}[/itex]. A basis for the direct product space [itex]V_1\otimes V_2[/itex] can be taken as [itex]\{e_i\otimes f_j\}[/itex]. So an element w of this space would look like (summation convention):

[tex]w=A^{ij}e_i\otimes f_j [/tex]

For the direct sum space [itex]V_1\oplus V_2[/itex], we take as basis: [itex]\{e_1,e_2,...;f_1,f_2,...\}[/itex].
\end of stuff from Gilmore

My question:

If we take [itex]V_1[/itex] to be the x-axis, and [itex]V_2[/itex] to be the y-axis, we can say that the tensor product space is the y=x line. Since any element would look like: [itex]w=A\;\;\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y} [/itex] whereas the direct sum space is spanned by [itex]\{\hat{x},\hat{y}\}[/itex], i.e. it consists of the entire [itex]R^2[/itex].

but it seems weird to me that the tensor product space in this example has a smaller dimension than the direct sum space. Obviously I have a misconception, where is it?

Thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Travis091 said:
The definition (taken from Robert Gilmore's: Lie groups, Lie algebras, and some of their applications):

We have two vector spaces [itex]V_1[/itex] and [itex]V_2[/itex] with bases [itex]\{e_i\}[/itex] and [itex]\{f_i\}[/itex]. A basis for the direct product space [itex]V_1\otimes V_2[/itex] can be taken as [itex]\{e_i\otimes f_j\}[/itex]. So an element w of this space would look like (summation convention):

[tex]w=A^{ij}e_i\otimes f_j [/tex]

I don't know why you call this a direct product. It's the tensor product, it's very different from the direct product. In fact, the direct sum and direct product (of two factors) coincide in this case.

For the direct sum space [itex]V_1\oplus V_2[/itex], we take as basis: [itex]\{e_1,e_2,...;f_1,f_2,...\}[/itex].
\end of stuff from Gilmore

My question:

If we take [itex]V_1[/itex] to be the x-axis, and [itex]V_2[/itex] to be the y-axis, we can say that the tensor product space is the y=x line.

In what sense is it the y=x line?

Since any element would look like: [itex]w=A\;\;\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y} [/itex]

What do the hats mean on ##\hat{x}##?

but it seems weird to me that the tensor product space in this example has a smaller dimension than the direct sum space. Obviously I have a misconception, where is it?

Yes, sometimes the tensor product space has a smaller dimension than the direct sum. A lot of times it has a greater dimension however. Why does this seem weird to you? Do you think that a sum should always be smaller than a product? What about ##1\cdot 1<1+1##?

micromass said:
I don't know why you call this a direct product. It's the tensor product, it's very different from the direct product. In fact, the direct sum and direct product (of two factors) coincide in this case.
Some physicists use tensor product and direct product synonymously. The definition given above is the direct product according to Gilmore - he defines the tensor product on groups only - see page 28 of the above mentioned reference.

micromass said:
In what sense is it the y=x line?
In the sense that this space is spanned by [itex]\hat{x}\otimes\hat{y}=(1,1)[/itex] which is a vector in [itex]R^2[/itex] that makes a 45 angle with the x-axis.

micromass said:
What do the hats mean on ##\hat{x}##?
Unit vectors.
micromass said:
Yes, sometimes the tensor product space has a smaller dimension than the direct sum. A lot of times it has a greater dimension however. Why does this seem weird to you? Do you think that a sum should always be smaller than a product? What about ##1\cdot 1<1+1##?
[/QUOTE]
But the direct (or tensor?) product [itex]R\otimes R[/itex] is simply [itex]R^2[/itex]. So I must be misunderstanding something. Or maybe it's Gilmore? (highly doubtful :))

Last edited:
Travis091 said:
Some physicists use tensor product and direct product synonymously. The definition given above is the direct product according to Gilmore - he defines the tensor product on groups only - see page 28 of the above mentioned reference.

That Gilmore book is awful. He defines the tensor product of vector spaces, not of groups. And he really shouldn't use the term direct product.

In the sense that this space is spanned by [itex]\hat{x}\otimes\hat{y}=(1,1)[/itex] which is a vector in [itex]R^2[/itex] that makes a 45 angle with the x-axis.

I don't follow at all. Why would ##\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y} = (1,1)##? That makes no sense at all.

But the direct (or tensor?) product [itex]R\otimes R[/itex] is simply [itex]R^2[/itex]. So I must be misunderstanding something. Or maybe it's Gilmore? (highly doubtful :))

Not at all. We have that ##\mathbb{R}\otimes\mathbb{R}## is the same as ##\mathbb{R}##. A basis for ##\mathbb{R}## is simply ##\{1\}## and a basis for ##\mathbb{R}\otimes\mathbb{R}## is ##\{1\otimes 1\}##.
In general, if ##V## has dimension ##n## and if ##W## has dimension ##m##, then ##V\otimes W## has dimension ##m\cdot n## and ##V\oplus W## has dimension ##m+n##.

micromass said:
I don't follow at all. Why would ##\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y} = (1,1)##? That makes no sense at all.

So what is this item ##\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y}##?

More importantly, what is the vector space spanned by it? I know it is ##V_1\otimes V_2##, but what is the geometric picture of this space?

Travis091 said:
So what is this item ##\hat{x}\otimes \hat{y}##?

More importantly, what is the vector space spanned by it? I know it is ##V_1\otimes V_2##, but what is the geometric picture of this space?

I don't really think there is an easy geometric picture of this.

For ##\mathbb{R}\otimes\mathbb{R}## this is isomorphic to ##\mathbb{R}## and the isomorphism sends ##x\otimes y## to ##xy##. So in this sense, the tensor product generalizes the usual product on ##\mathbb{R}##.

So that is one way of seeing the tensor product. It provides a multiplication operation on the vector spaces. But unlike the usual multiplication, the multiplication of a vector in ##V_1## and ##V_2## lies in an entirely new space ##V_1\otimes V_2##. Still, this is a useful intuition, particularly when you go reading about Fock spaces and such.

The best way of seeing the tensor product is with bilinear maps (or multilinear maps). In that sense, a tensor ##x\otimes y## is in fact related to a bilinear map. For more information, see the free book linear algebra done wrong http://www.math.brown.edu/~treil/papers/LADW/LADW.html Chapter 8.

Likes 1 person
Thank you for the clarification, and for the excellent reference.

1. What is the difference between direct sum and direct product?

The direct sum and direct product are two different operations in mathematics, specifically in abstract algebra. The direct sum is a way to combine two objects in such a way that the resulting object contains all the elements of the original objects, while the direct product is a way to combine two objects in such a way that the resulting object contains all possible combinations of elements from the original objects. In other words, the direct sum is a union of sets, while the direct product is a Cartesian product of sets.

2. When should I use direct sum versus direct product?

The choice between using direct sum or direct product depends on the specific problem or context you are working with. In some cases, the direct sum may be more useful, while in others, the direct product may be the better option. For example, if you are working with vector spaces, the direct sum is often used to combine two vector spaces with different bases, while the direct product is used to combine two vector spaces with the same base.

3. How is direct sum and direct product related to direct sum and direct product of groups?

Direct sum and direct product of groups are similar operations to the direct sum and direct product in abstract algebra. However, they are specific to groups, which are a type of mathematical structure. The direct sum of groups is a way to combine two groups in such a way that the resulting group contains all the elements of the original groups, while the direct product of groups is a way to combine two groups in such a way that the resulting group contains all possible combinations of elements from the original groups.

4. Can I have a direct sum or direct product of more than two objects?

Yes, both direct sum and direct product can be extended to combine more than two objects. For example, the direct sum of three vector spaces is a way to combine three vector spaces in such a way that the resulting space contains all the elements of the original vector spaces. Similarly, the direct product of three groups is a way to combine three groups in such a way that the resulting group contains all possible combinations of elements from the original groups.

5. Are there any real-world applications of direct sum and direct product?

Yes, direct sum and direct product have many applications in various fields of mathematics and science. In linear algebra, the direct sum is used to represent the decomposition of a vector space into subspaces. In group theory, the direct product is used to study the properties of direct products of groups. These concepts are also applied in fields such as computer science, physics, and engineering to model and solve problems involving combinations of objects or structures.