Cockroft-Walton question.

• Thread starter RGClark
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of cascading multiple stages of a voltage doubler to exponentially increase the output voltage. However, it is stated that this method is not effective due to the DC output of the network. It is suggested that using a voltage doubler with an AC output could allow for exponential cascading. The conversation also briefly touches on the efficiency of a three phase voltage multiplier.
RGClark
Why couldn't you have the output of a CW voltage doubler lead into the
input of a another doubler? It seems to me that instead of the voltages
being additive with additional stages as done now, with this method you
could double the voltage each time.
So with 10 repetitions you could multiply the voltage by 2^10 = 1024.

Bob Clark

Engineering news on Phys.org
I think you can have as many stages as you want, as long as the ladder method is an efficient enough voltage multiplier for your needs. Where did you read that you can't cascade the ladder?

http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

Yes, you may have as many stages as you can feed - at some point however the effective lumped series resistance will start to defeat your efforts.. so you can't start withl 12 v and multiply your way to 12 MV.

What you want to do doesn't work because the output of the newtork is DC, not AC.

If you had a voltage doubler with an AC output, the stages could cascade exponentially as you describe.

Antiphon said:
What you want to do doesn't work because the output of the newtork is DC, not AC.

If you had a voltage doubler with an AC output, the stages could cascade exponentially as you describe.
I don't think that's right Antiphon. The voltage multiplier that the OP is asking about is a half-wave rectifier/multiplier:

http://www.blazelabs.com/e-exp15.asp

I suppose if you follow the last AC stage with a single diode and then a capacitor to ground, that will give you a DC output. But if you keep following the ladder structure of diodes and caps, the AC pulses get passed up the ladder.

Actually, no. If you look at the polarities of the caps, they are all charging with the
positive side on the right. The output will be DC.

Antiphon said:
Actually, no. If you look at the polarities of the caps, they are all charging with the
positive side on the right. The output will be DC.
Oh, I see where I was confused. There are AC currents through the caps, but the result is indeed pretty much DC at the output. I misinterpreted the OP's question -- he was asking why it wasn't more efficient to series connect separate doublers instead of just adding more stages. Yeah, the C-W multiplier only grows by adding stages, not by trying to cascade separate ones somehow. Thanks Antiphon. -Mike-

Need 3 phase

OK now what is the circuit for a three phase machine? Powered by three phase RF hopefully.

What is the Cockroft-Walton question?

The Cockroft-Walton question refers to a device invented by John Cockroft and Ernest Walton in 1932 for generating high DC voltages. It was used in their experiments to split the nucleus of an atom.

How does the Cockroft-Walton question work?

The Cockroft-Walton question works by using a series of capacitors and diodes to double the input voltage with each stage. This results in a high voltage output at the end of the circuit, which can be used for various purposes such as particle accelerators and X-ray machines.

What are the advantages of using the Cockroft-Walton question?

The Cockroft-Walton question has several advantages, including its simplicity, reliability, and ability to generate high voltages without the need for expensive and bulky transformers. It also has a fast charging time and can be easily adjusted to generate different output voltages.

What are the limitations of the Cockroft-Walton question?

One limitation of the Cockroft-Walton question is that it can only generate DC voltages. It also has a limited output current, which may not be suitable for certain applications. Additionally, the high voltage output can be dangerous if proper safety measures are not taken.

What are some common applications of the Cockroft-Walton question?

The Cockroft-Walton question is commonly used in particle accelerators, X-ray machines, and other scientific experiments that require high DC voltages. It can also be used in industrial applications, such as electrostatic painting and air purification systems.