Spherical coordinates?

In summary, the unit vectors in spherical coordinates are related to the Cartesian unit vectors through a coordinate transformation. The unit vector in the k direction in Cartesian coordinates is equal to the unit vector in the r direction in spherical coordinates, and the unit vector in the j direction in Cartesian coordinates can be expressed as a combination of the r and phi unit vectors in spherical coordinates. The unit vectors in spherical coordinates are defined by the equations 18, 19, and 20 in the website provided.
pivoxa15
What is equivalent to the unit k (vector in cartesian coords) in spherical coordinates? And why?

z=rcos(t)

Last edited:
Mathematics news on Phys.org
pivoxa15 said:
What is equivalent to the unit j (vector in cartesian coords) in spherical coordinates? And why?

z=rcos(t)
if the vector is in three dimensions, one more variable(of spherical) is required to define j.

I made a mistake which has been corrected, it should be the unit k vector.

In cartesian, it is (0,0,1). What is it in spherical (0,0,what)?

For the most common choice of spherical polar coordinates,
[tex]x=r\sin\phi\cos\theta,y=r\sin\phi\sin\thea,z=r\cos\phi,0\leq{r},0\leq\phi\leq\pi,0\leq\theta\leq{2}\pi[/itex]
we have the following unit vetors relations:
[tex]\vec{i}_{r}=\sin\phi(\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j})+\cos\phi\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{i}_{\phi}=\frac{\partial}{\partial\phi}\vec{i}_{r}=\cos\phi(\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j})-\sin\phi\vec{k}[/tex]
[tex]\vec{i}_{\theta}=\frac{1}{\sin\phi}\frac{\partial}{\partial\theta}\vec{i}_{r}=-\sin\theta\vec{i}+\cos\theta\vec{j}[/tex]
Solving for the Cartesian unit vectors we gain, in particular:
[tex]\vec{k}=\cos\phi\vec{i}_{r}-\sin\phi\vec{i}_{\phi}[/tex]
That is of course equal to the coordinate transformation:
[tex](0,0,1)\to(\cos\phi,0,\sin\phi)[/tex]
In order to find the correct expressions for the other two unit Cartesian vectors, utilize the intermediate result:
[tex]\sin\phi\vec{i}_{r}+\cos\phi\vec{i}_{\phi}=\vec{i}_{\hat{r}}=\cos\theta\vec{i}+\sin\theta\vec{j}[/itex]
[itex]\vec{i}_{\hat{r}},\vec{i}_{\theta}[/itex] are polar coordinate vectors in the horizontal plane.

Last edited:

1. What are spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are a system of coordinates used to locate a point in three-dimensional space using three values: a radial distance from a fixed point (the origin), an angle from a fixed reference direction, and an angle from a fixed reference plane.

2. How do spherical coordinates differ from Cartesian coordinates?

In spherical coordinates, the position of a point is defined by its distance from the origin, and two angles, while in Cartesian coordinates, it is defined by its distance from each of the three perpendicular coordinate axes.

3. What are the advantages of using spherical coordinates?

Spherical coordinates are particularly useful for describing points in three-dimensional space that are located at a fixed distance from a central point, such as in polar regions or when working with circular or spherical objects.

4. How are spherical coordinates related to latitude and longitude?

Latitude and longitude are types of spherical coordinates, with latitude representing the angle from the equator and longitude representing the angle from a reference meridian. However, spherical coordinates can be used to locate points in any three-dimensional space, not just on the surface of the Earth.

5. Can spherical coordinates be converted to other coordinate systems?

Yes, spherical coordinates can be converted to other coordinate systems, such as Cartesian coordinates, cylindrical coordinates, or even GPS coordinates. There are formulas and equations that can be used to convert between these systems.