The difference between a nuclear physicist and nuclear chemist is

In summary: Typically you are using some kind of chromatographic column, and you have to select the right eluting solvent, and the right temperature, and the right salt, and so on. This is standard chemical procedure, but it is also nuclear chemistry.In summary, nuclear chemistry is a field of chemistry that deals with radioactive materials and their properties, including isotopes and reactions involving radioactive elements. It is often used in conjunction with other fields, such as physics, to study and understand nuclear reactions and their products.
DnD Addict
The difference between a nuclear physicist and nuclear chemist is...what?

Physics news on Phys.org
Nuclear physicist are much, much, much, much better people :smile::smile::smile::smile:

I have never seen a nuclear physicist to elaborate uranium hexafluoride and survive.

fatra2 said:
Nuclear physicist are much, much, much, much better people :smile::smile::smile::smile:

oh thank you :redface:

I don't have idea of what a nuclear chemist does... :D
Even the word "nuclear (to do with nuclei) chemistry (to do with atoms and molecules)" seems an oxymoron to me :P

Raghnar said:
oh thank you :redface:
I don't have idea of what a nuclear chemist does... :D

Guessing, I'd say that any field of chemistry with isotopes do matter (eg, D2O vs H2O) should be labeled as "nuclear chemistry" even if the official name is "isotopical research" or something bored. Also I guess that if radiative elements are involved, even before worrying about isotopes, then a chemistry procedures will be somehow different from the usual.

I don't think the term "nuclear chemist" is very common, I suspect you are thinking of "radiochemist".
They are basically chemists who specialize in handling (purifying, alloying etc) radioactive materials (one of my lecturers when I was an undergrad was a radiochemist, his lab was literally a cave under the physics department).

Last edited:
I think the term "nuclear chemist" is reasonably common, although maybe not as common as it used to be...?

As an example of a nuclear chemistry experiment, let's say you do a heavy ion fusion reaction at an accelerator, the reaction product being a superheavy element. The product recoils out of the target, you whisk it away with a gas jet, and you try to react it with some chemical and observe the result before it can undergo beta decay.

What is the main difference between a nuclear physicist and nuclear chemist?

A nuclear physicist studies the physical properties and behavior of atomic nuclei, while a nuclear chemist focuses on the chemical reactions and processes involving atomic nuclei.

Do nuclear physicists and nuclear chemists work together?

Yes, they often collaborate on research projects that involve both the physical and chemical aspects of nuclear reactions and materials.

What education is required to become a nuclear physicist or nuclear chemist?

Both professions typically require a Ph.D. in their respective fields, as well as a strong background in physics and chemistry.

What types of industries or fields do nuclear physicists and nuclear chemists work in?

Nuclear physicists and nuclear chemists can work in a variety of industries, including nuclear power, national laboratories, and research universities. They may also work in fields such as nuclear medicine, materials science, and environmental science.

What are some common research topics for nuclear physicists and nuclear chemists?

Some common research topics for nuclear physicists include nuclear fission and fusion, nuclear reactor design, and nuclear astrophysics. Nuclear chemists may research topics such as radiochemistry, nuclear waste management, and nuclear forensics.