Proof of an upper triangular matrix - theory

In summary, to prove the linear independence of (A-λI)^2v, (A-λI)v, and v, we can use the given information that (A-λI)^3=0 and the hint provided by the professor. To prove the matrix of Y^{-1}AY, we can use the fact that Y is an invertible matrix and the given information about (A-λI)^3=0 to simplify our calculations. By substituting the given value of λ=3, we can obtain the desired result.
PirateFan308

Homework Statement

Suppose that A is a 3x3 matrix, having characteristic polynomial [itex](λ-x)^{3}[/itex]. Suppose that there is a vector [itex]v[/itex] in [itex]F^3[/itex] which is not in [itex]Ker(A-λI)^2[/itex]. You may assume that [itex](A-λI)^3=0[/itex]. Show that [itex](A-λI)^2v, (A-λI)v, v[/itex] are linearly independent. If Y is the matrix having columns [itex](A-λI)^2v, (A-λI)v, v[/itex] show that if λ=3 then

[tex]Y^{-1}AY = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 1 & 0\\0 & 3 & 1\\0 & 0 & 3\end{pmatrix}[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I have already proved that [itex](A-λI)^2v, (A-λI)v, v[/itex] are linearly independent by using the fact that [itex](A-λI)^3=0[/itex] and [itex](A-λI)^2≠0[/itex]. I have no idea where to start in proving the matrix of [itex]Y^{-1}AY[/itex].

The hints our prof gave us was that we want:
[itex]Av_1=3(A-3I)^2v = A(A-3I)^2v[/itex]

[itex](A-3I)^3v=0 ~so~ (A-3I)(A-3I)^2v=0~~=>~~(A-3I)v_1=0[/itex]

For [itex]v_2=(A-3I)v ~~~~ (A-3I)v_2=v_1[/itex]

But I'm not quite sure how this helps. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post. It seems like you have already made good progress in proving the linear independence of (A-λI)^2v, (A-λI)v, and v. To prove the matrix of Y^{-1}AY, we can use the fact that Y is an invertible matrix, so we can write Y^{-1}AY=A. We can then use the given information that (A-λI)^3=0 to simplify our calculations. Let's start by expanding (A-λI)^2v:

(A-λI)^2v = (A-λI)(A-λI)v = (A-λI)v_2

where v_2=(A-λI)v. Now, using the hint provided by your professor, we know that (A-λI)v_2=v_1, where v_1=(A-λI)^2v. This means that (A-λI)^2v=v_1=v_1-v_2. We can then rewrite Y^{-1}AY as:

Y^{-1}AY = Y^{-1}(A-λI)^2v + Y^{-1}(A-λI)v + Y^{-1}v

= Y^{-1}(v_1-v_2) + Y^{-1}v_2 + Y^{-1}v

= Y^{-1}v_1

Now, since we are given that v_1 is not in Ker(A-λI)^2, we know that Y^{-1}v_1 is a nonzero vector. Therefore, we can use this vector to construct the matrix of Y^{-1}AY:

Y^{-1}AY = \begin{pmatrix}Y^{-1}v_1 & 0 & 0\\0 & Y^{-1}v_1 & 0\\0 & 0 & Y^{-1}v_1\end{pmatrix}

Finally, if we substitute λ=3 into this matrix, we get:

Y^{-1}AY = \begin{pmatrix}3 & 0 & 0\\0 & 3 & 0\\0 & 0 & 3\end{pmatrix}

which is the desired result. I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any further questions.

1. What is an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix is a square matrix where all the entries below the main diagonal are zero. The main diagonal is the line that goes from the top left corner to the bottom right corner of the matrix. All the entries above the main diagonal can be any number, including zero.

2. How can you prove that a matrix is upper triangular?

To prove that a matrix is upper triangular, you need to show that all the entries below the main diagonal are zero. This can be done by checking each entry individually or by using mathematical properties such as matrix multiplication or row reduction.

3. What is the significance of an upper triangular matrix?

An upper triangular matrix has several important properties that make it useful in mathematics and science. It is easier to perform operations such as matrix multiplication and finding the inverse on an upper triangular matrix. It also has applications in solving systems of linear equations and in computer graphics.

4. Can a non-square matrix be upper triangular?

No, a non-square matrix cannot be upper triangular because the main diagonal only exists in square matrices. A non-square matrix can have an upper triangular or lower triangular section, but not both.

5. How does an upper triangular matrix relate to the concept of triangular numbers?

An upper triangular matrix can be seen as a visual representation of triangular numbers. The number of non-zero elements in each row of an upper triangular matrix follows the pattern of triangular numbers, where the first row has 1 element, the second row has 2 elements, the third row has 3 elements, and so on.