How to Become a Scientist After High School?

• Thread starter suv1
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Scientist
In summary: After you graduate from university, you can then pursue a postgraduate degree, such as a master's or PhD, if you want to do research in your field. You can also look for jobs in academia or industry, depending on your interests and skills. Just remember that there is no one specific path to becoming a scientist and it varies depending on the field and individual circumstances. In summary, the best steps to follow to become a scientist after 12th grade are to focus on taking math, physics, chemistry, and biology courses in high school, major in a related field in university, and pursue postgraduate degrees and/or jobs in academia or industry. It is also important to continuously develop clear writing skills, as this is crucial in the scientific
suv1
Im a 11th std student. i want to become a scientist but i don't know wat path i shud follow.what should i do after 12th? I've taken PCM group .im interested a bit more in chem than physics.pls reply in a simple way the steps i shud follow.

Physics news on Phys.org
First, What is a Scientist?

Very BROAD. Difficult to answer. There is no single path, and many exceptions. Depends on the field, and so on.

Rule of Thumb is College Degree -> Postgraduate Degree <-> Research Degree

Research <-> Publications

Jobs (depends) -> Academia <-> Industry. Research Centers also exist and environment varies to somewhere between Academia and Industry.

For one, learn to write in a far clearer manner. No one gets anywhere with that kind of writing.

Hi suv1, the kind of "text speak" you are using is not acceptable for forums like this. We're mostly old dudes who just don't know the language! I know it has advantages in concision, and physicists admire concision, but here you have to make concessions to those who aren't fluent in your concise language.

You're in high school?? Try to take as many math/physics/chemistry/biology as you can.
Afterwards you can apply to university for a major that interests you. If you're interesting in chemistry, then you can major in chemistry or chemical engineering or something else.

1. What education is required to become a scientist?

To become a scientist, you typically need at least a bachelor's degree in a scientific field such as biology, chemistry, physics, or environmental science. Many scientists also hold advanced degrees such as a master's or doctorate.

2. What skills are important for a scientist to have?

Some important skills for a scientist include critical thinking, problem-solving, attention to detail, strong communication skills, and the ability to work well in a team. Additionally, having a strong understanding of math and statistics is crucial in many scientific fields.

3. How can I gain experience as a scientist?

There are several ways to gain experience as a scientist. One way is to participate in research projects as an undergraduate or graduate student. You can also apply for internships or volunteer positions at research institutions or organizations. Another option is to conduct your own independent research project.

4. What are some common career paths for scientists?

Scientists can pursue a variety of career paths, depending on their interests and area of expertise. Some common career paths include working in academia as a professor or researcher, working in industry for a private company, or working for a government agency or non-profit organization.

5. How important is networking for scientists?

Networking is an important aspect of any career, including in the field of science. Building relationships with other scientists and professionals in your field can lead to potential job opportunities, collaborations on research projects, and access to resources and information. Attending conferences and joining professional organizations can be helpful in expanding your network as a scientist.