How do changes in water properties affect pressure drop in a heat exchanger?

In summary, the conversation discusses a problem with a simple heat exchanger and the simulation of different volume flow rates and inlet water temperatures. The conversation also includes questions about the constancy of water properties and their impact on pressure drop. The conclusion is that pressure drop is affected by changes in temperature and volume flow rate, but not significantly by changes in water properties. The Darcy Weisbach equation was used for analysis and a PDF document was found to be helpful in understanding the problem.
rideway
Hello everybody

The problem is about a very simple heat exchanger.

One pipe with cold water at the inlet and at some points heat is applied uniformly. Assumed no buoyancy. Wall is smooth and with no slip.

I simulate different a matrix of volume flow rates and inlet water temps. For 5 l/min, water inlet temp varies from 50°C to 150°C; same for 10 l/min and 20 l/min.

My questions are:

1.- If the water properties (density, viscosity, heat capacity, thermal conductivity) are constant, should the pressure drop be constant for a given volume flow rate?
2.- If I simulate water accordingly with variable density and viscosity, should the pressure drop increase with the increase of density or decrease?

I don't know if I explained correctly. Dont hesitate to ask if needed.

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards

Engineering news on Phys.org
Anyone can help me? I am still stucked with it.
Thanks!

rideway said:
Hello everybody

The problem is about a very simple heat exchanger.

One pipe with cold water at the inlet and at some points heat is applied uniformly. Assumed no buoyancy. Wall is smooth and with no slip.

I simulate different a matrix of volume flow rates and inlet water temps. For 5 l/min, water inlet temp varies from 50°C to 150°C; same for 10 l/min and 20 l/min.

My questions are:

1.- If the water properties (density, viscosity, heat capacity, thermal conductivity) are constant, should the pressure drop be constant for a given volume flow rate?
2.- If I simulate water accordingly with variable density and viscosity, should the pressure drop increase with the increase of density or decrease?

I don't know if I explained correctly. Dont hesitate to ask if needed.

Thank you very much in advance!
Regards
Hi rideway. Fluid flow and pressure drop through pipes and networks of pipes including through pipes making up heat exchangers can be done using the Darcy Weisbach equation. If you're not familiar with that you can look through the Pipe-Flo document I posted here:
https://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?t=179830

I did a quick analysis using a program I have to see how pressure drop changes for water over a large range of temperature as well as looking at properties. First, your temperature of 150 C means the water is above atmospheric pressure, so I arbitrarily selected a pressure above the saturation point so it would remain liquid for the analysis. I found the viscosity changed considerably over a large change in temperature but density not so much. The resulting pressure drop difference was relatively small so my conclusion was that viscosity doesn't have a large impact on pressure drop, but that was a relatively superficial analysis assuming subcooled water.

Note that the heat capacity and thermal conductivity of water doesn't enter into the Darcy Weisbach equation so it can't affect pressure drop with the exception that those factors influence the water's change in temperature as it flows through a pipe with heat transfer. Hope that helps.

Thank you very much! It really helped a lot

That pdf document is really good, it confirmed what i was thinking.

I realized with my calculations that if I define all properties constant, the pressure drop is not changing. Then I set the water properties as IAPWS EOS (International Association for the Properties of Water and Steam Equations Of State) and as I thought, pressure drop changed for every case:

I post some conclusions that might help.
- The bigger the inlet temperature, smaller the density and smaller the pressure drop. By high volume flow rates up to 500Pa for a 80°C delta in a 2 meter long pipe. The density change was aprox 1%.
- The bigger the volume flow rate, the bigger the pressure drop. This one was quite obvious. It was an almost a quadratic result.

Thank you very much for your help! :)

1. What is a heat exchanger?

A heat exchanger is a device that is used to transfer heat from one medium to another. It is commonly used in heating, cooling, and ventilation systems to regulate temperature and improve energy efficiency.

2. How does a heat exchanger work?

A heat exchanger works by allowing two fluids to pass through separate channels, with one fluid being heated and the other being cooled. The two fluids never come into direct contact, but heat is transferred through the walls of the channels, resulting in a temperature exchange.

3. What are the different types of heat exchangers?

There are several types of heat exchangers, including shell and tube, plate and frame, and air-to-air. Shell and tube heat exchangers are the most common and consist of a bundle of tubes enclosed in a shell. Plate and frame heat exchangers use thin plates to separate the two fluids, and air-to-air heat exchangers use fans to transfer heat between two air streams.

4. What are the benefits of using a heat exchanger?

Using a heat exchanger can help improve energy efficiency, as it allows for the transfer of heat from one fluid to another without the need for additional energy sources. Heat exchangers also help regulate temperature and can be used in various applications, such as heating and cooling systems and industrial processes.

5. How do I choose the right heat exchanger for my needs?

The type of heat exchanger you choose will depend on the specific application and requirements. Factors to consider include the type of fluids being used, the desired temperature exchange, and the available space for installation. It is best to consult with a professional to determine the most suitable heat exchanger for your needs.