Scientific principles involved in Pan flute

by zabachi
Tags: pan flute
zabachi
Jul6-12, 09:44 PM
P: 33
I am doing a physics project on finding the scientific principles involved in pan flute. Could people just put down some phenomenon that is relevant to this? One I know I think is the helmholtz principle, but can I use those equations, becuase from what I read, it seems like there is water invloved for it?
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
The hemihelix: Scientists discover a new shape using rubber bands (w/ video)
Mapping the road to quantum gravity
Chameleon crystals could enable active camouflage (w/ video)
zabachi
Jul7-12, 01:48 AM
This can be like a discussion and its quite interesting the physics behind music
zabachi
Jul7-12, 08:39 PM
Anyone can help or tell me how i can use Helmholt resonance

maimonides
Jul8-12, 04:15 AM
P: 128

Scientific principles involved in Pan flute

No, pan flutes do not work like a Helmholtz resonator.
Can you please explain what the water is for in a pan flute? IŽve not heard of this before.

There was a thread about pan flutes here:
http://www.physicsforums.com/showthread.php?p=3806786
YouŽll find formulae and references there.
zabachi
Jul8-12, 04:36 AM
Sorry its not in a panflute but one of my friend said that he would push something and this pitch of the sound changed as the volume decreased but im not sure. I had seen that link before and already included those in my project. I wanted more like acoustic impedance, overtone and maybe more. And i wasnt talking about helmholtz resonator but helmholtz resonance(phenomenon) Here is the wiki link:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Helmholtz_resonance
maimonides
Jul8-12, 11:09 AM
P: 128
To my way of thinking a Helmholtz resonator is something in which the "Helmholtz resonance phenomenon" happens, not only the devices Helmholtz used.
A blown bottle is a Helmholtz resonator and you can tune it by changing the amount of water in it. This may be what your friend was talking about.
An ocarina also uses Helmholtz resonance.
In guitars and string instruments the Helmholtz resonator made by the soundhole/f-holes and the body volume is quite important in determining sound and timbre.
I recommend the book by Fletcher/Rossing: The physics of musical instruments. It is a very good introduction to musical acoustics.
zabachi
Jul10-12, 04:52 AM
Thanks alot!!

Register to reply