Interaction of two wavefunctions

by Talker1500
Tags: interaction, wavefunctions
Talker1500
Aug12-13, 09:29 PM
P: 19
Hi,

I've been thinking about the following scheme: let's say I have an incoming photon ray with wavefunction ψ1 that finds a bloch electron with wavefunction ψ2. Is there any way to compute the optical coefficients (transmitivity, reflectivity etc) of the material knowing only this two ψ and the corresponding electronic DOS due to the bloch electrons?

Thanks
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Researchers find tin selenide shows promise for efficiently converting waste heat into electrical energy
After 13 years, progress in pitch-drop experiment (w/ video)
Global scientific team 'visualizes' a new crystallization process (w/ video)
Simon Bridge
Aug13-13, 12:58 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,952
Yes - you are scattering a photon off an electron in a solid.
erst
Aug13-13, 11:34 PM
P: 21
The wavefunction contains complete knowledge of the system, so I think yes it should be possible to compute all materials properties in principle.

But is it meaningful to talk of a photon wavefunction? The Schrodinger equation does not apply to them. More advanced formalism is needed (fields and field operators).

Simon Bridge
Aug14-13, 01:28 AM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks ∞
PF Gold
P: 10,952

Interaction of two wavefunctions

Pretty much - you will see treatments that talk about a plane-wave state for incoming photons etc. for the scattering regime ... i.e. we can certainly write down a schrodinger equation for a system composed of matter and photons in Columb gauge.

But a proper QM treatment for the interaction of photons and Bloch electrons will involve field theory or, at least, QED.

Register to reply