Help with Schematic Design for BLE Device

In summary: You need to ask yourself what 'de-coupling' is for. It is to de couple what one part of a circuit does from another part of a circuit. If a part of a circuit is impervious to power supply variation then it doesn't need protection. If the mosfet takes great gouts of current and it is connected downstream of those two decoupling resistors in the (low pass filter) decoupling circuit the the volts will dip accordingly. If you connect the mosfet right to the battery, there will be less of a voltage dip (less series R in its circuit) and the decoupling circuit will, by virtue of the LP action, smooth off the sharp dip in Vcc volts to
bakours
I am trying to build a BLE device and have run into some obstacles. I did create a basic breadboard circuit using an Arduino Uno and the Redbear BLE Module and am trying to shrink it down to a much smaller PCB. The schematic is attached as well as the datasheets for the microcontroller and the BLE Module.

The device is meant to heat a wire controlled using PWM

Issues:

1. I do not know if an n-type MosFet is appropriate to amplify the current from 40 μA to 2A. If it is appropriate, I need help finding which specific mosfet to use.

2. In general, I would really appreciate it if someone with experience could give any suggestions to optimize this circuit.

3. The BLE Module says it has its own microcontroller. Can this be used instead of my microcontroller for PWM?

4. I have inserted decoupling and bypass capacitors that are polarized. From what I know, these are fine and non-polarized are not necessary. Is this true?

Appreciate all your help, This is my first PCB! :shy: :approve:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.26.34 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2014-01-29 at 1.26.34 PM.png
    36.1 KB · Views: 463
  • Atmel-2586-AVR-8-bit-Microcontroller-ATtiny25-ATtiny45-ATtiny85_Datasheet-Summary.pdf
    634.8 KB · Views: 192
  • 201312031858420.pdf
    507.2 KB · Views: 263
Engineering news on Phys.org
Welcome to the PF.

Couple things... First, what's a BLE?

Second, the FET is connected incorrectly. And to amplify from 40uA up to 2A will take a multi-stage amplifier. And are you planning on getting that 2A from the battery? Through those resistors?

And the decoupling caps go in parallel to the power supply connections, not in series (see your Vcc cap in series with pin 15).

Likes 1 person
BLE is bluetooth low energy.
Are the source/drain switched? Yes I was hoping to be able to get the 2A from the battery, is there a problem with that? I am not really familiar with multi-stage amps, will have to look into it.

The VCC cap in series with pin 15 is supposed to be a bypass cap, is that supposed to be in parallel?

Thank You!

bakours said:
BLE is bluetooth low energy.
Are the source/drain switched? Yes I was hoping to be able to get the 2A from the battery, is there a problem with that? I am not really familiar with multi-stage amps, will have to look into it.

The VCC cap in series with pin 15 is supposed to be a bypass cap, is that supposed to be in parallel?

Thank You!

You have to have a DC path to and from the supply!
If you need to decouple the power supply to the processor circuitry, could you not supply the mosfet R4 directly from the battery?

Likes 1 person
sophiecentaur said:
You have to have a DC path to and from the supply!
If you need to decouple the power supply to the processor circuitry, could you not supply the mosfet R4 directly from the battery?

I could do that, but why shouldn't i decouple the power supply to the mosfet?

bakours said:
I could do that, but why shouldn't i decouple the power supply to the mosfet?

You need to ask yourself what 'de-coupling' is for. It is to de couple what one part of a circuit does from another part of a circuit. If a part of a circuit is impervious to power supply variation then it doesn't need protection. If the mosfet takes great gouts of current and it is connected downstream of those two decoupling resistors in the (low pass filter) decoupling circuit the the volts will dip accordingly. If you connect the mosfet right to the battery, there will be less of a voltage dip (less series R in its circuit) and the decoupling circuit will, by virtue of the LP action, smooth off the sharp dip in Vcc volts to your fragile control circuit. When it's switched on, the mosfet can actually deliver more current when it's not decoupled from the battery.

1. What is a schematic design for a BLE device?

A schematic design for a BLE (Bluetooth Low Energy) device is a visual representation of the electronic components and their connections that make up the device. It helps to illustrate the overall design and functionality of the device.

2. Why is a schematic design important for a BLE device?

A schematic design is important for a BLE device because it provides a detailed plan for the design and construction of the device. It allows for easier troubleshooting and debugging, and also helps to ensure that the device functions as intended.

3. What are the key components that should be included in a schematic design for a BLE device?

The key components that should be included in a schematic design for a BLE device include the microcontroller, BLE module, power source, sensors/actuators, and any other necessary electronic components. It is also important to include labels and reference designators for each component.

4. How can I create a schematic design for a BLE device?

There are various software programs available for creating schematic designs, such as Eagle, Altium, and KiCad. These programs allow you to create a visual representation of your circuit and its components. It is important to have a good understanding of electronics and circuit design principles when creating a schematic design.

5. Can I modify a schematic design for a BLE device?

Yes, a schematic design for a BLE device can be modified as needed. This may be necessary if there are changes to the design or functionality of the device, or if new components need to be added. It is important to carefully review and test any modifications to ensure they do not affect the overall functionality of the device.