Help with simple dot product proof

In summary, when A and B are perpendicular to each other, and another vector C is perpendicular to both A and B, it does not necessarily mean that B and C are equal. This can be proven by choosing specific examples in 3D space. Additionally, it is not necessary for the x values in the vectors B and C to be the same.
Juntao
Here's what I got to prove where '.' is dot.

A.B=A.C Then B=C True or false? If true, prove it in general terms, if false, provide a counter-example.

Ok, I just need some body to comment on my little proof here, and any guidelines to make it more thorough or whatnot.
I know that the dot product is commutative,
A.(B+C)=A.B +A.C, but not sure if it really needs to be in my proof or not.

Proof
------
Say A.B=N and A.C=N (where N is a scalar number)
so if N=N
Then A.B=A.C
If I cancel the A's, I get B=C.

Is that a good way to approach that, or is there a better way of expressing it?

Physics news on Phys.org
You know that (A^-1)(A)=1 or the identity. Then
(A^-1)(A)(B)=(A^-1)(A)C)
with this we can multiply both sides and get
1(B)=1(C) or B=C

The raeson that (A^-1)(A)=1 is because (A^-1) is the inverse for A.

What if A is the zero vector? Then A.B=A.C no matter what B and C are.

And even if A <> 0 if you break A, B and C down into components, I think you will find that you can come up with other situations where A.(B-C) must equal 0 even though you know nothing about the values of B and C individually.

Try it.

No.

In the first place, there is no "A-1" when you are talking about dot product. There is, start with, no "identity" since
A.I= A would not make sense. A is a vector and the dot product of two vectors is a number, not a vector.

You are not really using either commutative or distributive laws:
you are using cancellation which is exactly what you are asked about: Is is true that when A.B= A.C, B MUST equal C. You cannot use what you are asked to prove.

Here is a hint. Choose two vectors at right angles. Call them A and B. Now choose a third vector at right angles to A. Call it C.
What are A.B and A.C. Does that answer your question?

a.b=a.c
a.(b-c)=0
Therefore a is perpendicular to b-c. This does not imply b=c.

Example (3 space):
a=(1,0,0)
b=(x,u,v)
c=(x,s,t)
where x,u,v,s,t may assume any values.

Last edited:
I thought this problem was going to be easy, but I keep on getting confused each time I come back here. Let's see if I get this straight mathman.

Let's say that A and B are perpendicular to each other. Now another vector, C, is perpendicular to A and B.

So A.B=0 and A.C=0, but this doesn't imply that B and C HAVE to equal each other?

And one more thing.
Example (3 space):
a=(1,0,0)
b=(x,u,v)
c=(x,s,t)

Just some clarification. Does x for vecter b and c have to be the same number?

Take A= (1,0,0), B= (0,1,0), and C= (0,0,1). It can't get any simpler than that.

You also say:
"And one more thing.
Example (3 space):
a=(1,0,0)
b=(x,u,v)
c=(x,s,t)

Just some clarification. Does x for vecter b and c have to be the same number?"

I have absolutely no idea. Generally speaking we do NOT use the same letter to represent two different numbers, but what was the context?

1. What is the dot product?

The dot product is a mathematical operation that takes two vectors and produces a scalar value. It is also known as the scalar product or the inner product. It is calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

2. How is the dot product useful?

The dot product has many applications in mathematics, physics, and engineering. It can be used to calculate the angle between two vectors, determine if two vectors are perpendicular, and find the projection of one vector onto another. It is also used in the definition of work, energy, and power in physics.

3. What is the formula for calculating the dot product?

The dot product can be calculated using the formula: A · B = |A| * |B| * cosθ, where A and B are the two vectors and θ is the angle between them. Alternatively, it can also be calculated by multiplying the corresponding components of the two vectors and then adding them together.

4. How do I prove the properties of the dot product?

To prove the properties of the dot product, you can use the definition of the dot product and the properties of vectors and trigonometry. You can also use geometric or algebraic proofs to show that the properties hold true. It is important to clearly state and explain each step of the proof.

5. Can you provide an example of a simple dot product proof?

Yes, for example, to prove the commutative property of the dot product (A · B = B · A), you can use the definition of the dot product and the properties of vectors and trigonometry to show that the two sides are equal. This can be done by expanding the dot product and rearranging the terms to show that they are identical.