Making \sum Bigger with AMSMATH

• Thread starter skook
  • Start date
In summary, to make the \sum symbol bigger using the AMSMATH package, you can use the \mathlarger command before the \sum symbol. This can also be customized further using other commands like \mathsmaller, \mathlargerplus, and \mathlargerminus. AMSMATH is not limited to just the \sum symbol and can be used for other mathematical symbols as well. However, there are also other ways to make the \sum symbol bigger without using AMSMATH, such as using the \displaystyle command or the \scalebox command. Additionally, if you only want to make the \sum symbol bigger in specific equations without affecting other symbols, you can enclose it in braces and use the
skook
:rolleyes: I am trying to learn how to use the AMSMATH package. Can anyone tell me how to change the size of [tex] \sum [/tex] to make it bigger?
thanks

Mathematics news on Phys.org
skook said:
:rolleyes: I am trying to learn how to use the AMSMATH package. Can anyone tell me how to change the size of [tex] \sum [/tex] to make it bigger?
thanks
In a TeX file, write $\displaystyle \sum$ rather than $\sum$. This will give you the difference between the following two:

[itex]\sum[/itex]

[tex]\sum[/tex]

You can use the \mathlarger command from the amsmath package to increase the size of \sum. For example, \mathlarger{\sum} will make the symbol larger. You can also use the \scalebox command to manually adjust the size, for example, \scalebox{1.5}{\sum} will make the symbol 1.5 times bigger. Additionally, you can use the \displaystyle command to increase the size of \sum in display mode. I recommend experimenting with different sizes until you find the one that suits your needs. Happy learning!

1. How do I use the AMSMATH package to make \sum bigger?

To make the \sum symbol bigger using the AMSMATH package, you can use the \mathlarger command before the \sum symbol. This will increase the size of the symbol by one level. For example, \mathlarger{\sum} would produce a slightly bigger \sum symbol compared to just \sum.

2. Can I customize the size of the \sum symbol using AMSMATH?

Yes, you can customize the size of the \sum symbol using the AMSMATH package. Apart from the \mathlarger command, you can also use other commands like \mathsmaller, \mathlargerplus and \mathlargerminus to adjust the size of the symbol to your liking.

3. Does AMSMATH only work with the \sum symbol or can I use it for other mathematical symbols as well?

AMSMATH is a comprehensive package for mathematical typesetting, and it can be used for various mathematical symbols apart from \sum. Some of the symbols that can be customized using AMSMATH include \int, \prod, \lim, and \bigotimes, among others.

4. Is there a way to make the \sum symbol bigger without using AMSMATH?

Yes, there are other ways to make the \sum symbol bigger without using AMSMATH. One way is to use the \displaystyle command before the \sum symbol, which will make it bigger and display it as an equation. Another option is to use the \scalebox command from the graphicx package to resize the symbol.

5. How do I make the \sum symbol bigger in specific equations without affecting the size of other symbols?

If you want to make the \sum symbol bigger in a specific equation without changing the size of other symbols, you can enclose the symbol in braces and use the \mathlarger command inside the braces. For example, {\mathlarger{\sum}} will only make the \sum symbol bigger in that particular equation.