Particle Position Calculation Using Tangent Velocity Vector

In summary, the position of the particle at time t_1 on the given path is (2e, 0, cos(1)-sin(1)). The velocity vector at time t_0 is (e, -1/e, -sin(1)), which can also be written as the position along the tangent at time t_0. To get the final position, we add the initial position at t_0 and the position along the tangent at t_0 multiplied by the time difference t_1-t_0. This results in the same position as before.
tandoorichicken
Can someone please check my work on this?

Problem: Suppose that a particle following the given path c(t) flies off on a tangent at t = t_0. Compute the position of the particle at the given time t_1.
Given: [itex]\vec{c}(t)=(e^t, e^{-t}, \cos{t}), t_0=1, t_1=2[/itex]

Here's how I did it:
The tangent to the position vector at any time is the velocity vector, so:
[tex]\vec{v}(t)=(e^t, -e^{-t}, -\sin{t})[/tex]
[tex]\vec{v}(t_0)=(e, -\frac{1}{e}, -\sin{1}) = \vec{c}_0 (t_0)[/tex]
where I define [itex]\vec{c}_0 (t)[/itex] as the position along the tangent at time t.
Then, the position at t_1 is:
[tex]\vec{c}(t_0)+\vec{c}_0 (t_0) = (2e,0, \cos{1}-\sin{1})[/tex]

Does this result make sense?

Edit: Actually, I think the proper final equation should be [itex]\vec{c}(t_0)+(t_1-t_0)\vec{c}_0 (t_0) = (2e,0, \cos{1}-\sin{1})[/itex] but in this case the answer comes out the same.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
I got the same answer, but your notation (using c and c0 instead of c and v) confused me for a moment.

-Dale

Thanks, Dale. Sorry about the notation, it made more sense in my head :tongue2:

1. What is the position of a particle?

The position of a particle refers to its location in space at a given time, typically described using coordinates such as distance, height, and direction.

2. How is the position of a particle measured?

The position of a particle can be measured using various techniques such as tracking its movement with a camera, using sensors to detect its location, or using mathematical calculations based on its velocity and acceleration.

3. What factors can affect the position of a particle?

The position of a particle can be affected by external forces such as gravity, friction, and air resistance, as well as its own velocity and acceleration.

4. What is the difference between position and displacement of a particle?

Position refers to the location of a particle at a specific time, while displacement refers to the change in position of a particle over a certain period of time. Displacement takes into account both the distance and direction of the movement.

5. How does the position of a particle change over time?

The position of a particle can change over time due to its velocity and acceleration, as well as any external forces acting upon it. The precise change in position can be described using mathematical equations such as the equations of motion.