ADC/DAC Converters: Help Finding Types & Resources

• Thread starter efebest
  • Start date
In summary, there are several types of ADC/DAC converters, including flash, successive approximation (SAR), delta-sigma, pipeline, and folded pipeline. These can be found through a simple Google search or by visiting a manufacturer's website, such as Analog Devices. It is important to develop the skill of researching and finding information on your own, which can be done by googling keywords or looking through datasheets and application notes provided by manufacturers.
efebest
Please i need other types of ADC/DAC converters apart from the single/dual slope converters. or info of which website will be helpful.

Engineering news on Phys.org
You just want a list of different kinds of converters?

How about:

- Flash
- Successive approximation (SAR)
- Delta-Sigma
- Pipeline
- Folded Pipeline

etc.

- Warren

I googled tutorial analog digital converter, and got lots of useful hits. Here's the first hit at the top of the list:

http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electronic/adc.html

PS -- I'm going to have to look up that folded pipeline topology that chroot mentions...sounds interesting...

thanks berkeman, i found them but those are just examples of adc i would still search for the dac's also chroot thanks for the list but can u place Delta, Sigma Pipeline, Folded Pipeline in their categories?

ebebest, I think what we are trying to do is give you a few keywords so that you can do a little google searching for yourself to answer your own homework question. That is a skill that you will need to develop in your schoolwork. Try googling the terms that chroot has given you, and put them in the categories yourself...

Also, another way to approach the question is to go to a manufacturer of ADC and DAC components, and look for selector guides and application notes, and check out a few datasheets. Here is one example of such a manufacturer:

http://www.analog.com/

1. What is an ADC/DAC converter?

An ADC/DAC converter, or analog-to-digital/digital-to-analog converter, is a device that converts analog signals into digital signals and vice versa. It is commonly used in electronic devices to convert real-world physical signals into digital signals that can be processed and analyzed by a computer.

2. How do ADC/DAC converters work?

ADC/DAC converters work by sampling an analog signal at regular intervals and converting each sample into a digital value. The analog signal is first passed through an anti-aliasing filter to remove any high-frequency components. Then, the signal is sent to an ADC to be converted into a series of binary numbers. For DAC conversion, the digital signal is passed through a digital-to-analog converter, which converts the binary numbers back into an analog signal.

3. What are the different types of ADC/DAC converters?

There are several types of ADC/DAC converters, including successive approximation, delta-sigma, flash, and pipeline converters. Each type has its own advantages and disadvantages, and the choice of converter depends on the specific application and requirements.

4. Where can I find resources for ADC/DAC converters?

There are many online resources available for finding information about ADC/DAC converters. Some sources include manufacturer websites, online forums and communities, technical articles and papers, and online databases. It is also helpful to consult with experts in the field or attend conferences and workshops related to ADC/DAC converters.

5. What are some important considerations when choosing an ADC/DAC converter?

There are several factors to consider when choosing an ADC/DAC converter, such as resolution, sampling rate, power consumption, and accuracy. The application and system requirements should also be taken into account, as well as the budget and availability of the converter. It is important to carefully evaluate all options and consult with experts to ensure the best choice for your specific needs.