Green Envelopes: Unused & Forgotten?

• Thread starter zoobyshoe
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Green
In summary, the green envelopes at the left of threads are mainly decoration, and do not have any real significance.
zoobyshoe
Does anyone use the green envelopes at the left of threads to make decisions about what to open? I never do, and often forget they're there. When I happen to notice them I have to go to the bottom and refresh my memory of what each means.

Physics news on Phys.org
Sometimes I forget if I've posted in a discussion and use them as visual cues. That's about it.

Nope. The only useful thing about them for me is when I see the miniature padlock on them; then my curiosity is piqued to find out why it was locked. :rolleyes: I really go more by the thread title, and the little "quick peek" view you get of the first few lines of a thread when you hold the cursor over the thread title. Some of the symbols on the envelopes are too small for me to even see clearly, so they're of no use at all. They seem to be more of decoration to me.

haha yah i alllllllllllllllways go into the locked threads to see what caused the lock.

Moonbear said:
Nope. The only useful thing about them for me is when I see the miniature padlock on them; then my curiosity is piqued to find out why it was locked. :rolleyes: I really go more by the thread title, and the little "quick peek" view you get of the first few lines of a thread when you hold the cursor over the thread title. Some of the symbols on the envelopes are too small for me to even see clearly, so they're of no use at all. They seem to be more of decoration to me.
That pretty much sums it up for me too. I don't even know what half of the envelope symbols mean.

I'm with Pengwuino. It's almost always entertaining to see what went awry.

The green envelope that cracks me up is the one that's on fire. And it's usually associated with a thread that's 19 pages long and was started three hours ago.

I like the green envelopes, especially in the homework section, because I can easily look through the icons to find where my thread is :smile:

i used to look at the envelopes a lot more in the old skin. they were much more noticable and it was easy to notice which one's i posted in (black dot) and which were popular (bright red), the rest were plain. the new ones don't stand out against each other as much, so i basically only notice the locked ones.

Moonbear said:
Yeah, me too. I always have to see why it was locked. :blushing:

But when the folder or envelope is red (old prime) and with fire (nexus), that means its a hot thread! And I got to see why its so hot.

Last edited:
I read the locked ones just because I want to know what I said that was so bad that it had to be locked. Evo's gets a bit power hungry sometimes.

Green envelopes? What green envelopes? :tongue2: Ah, thooose green envelopes. No, of course not. I look at the next column with the icon. If I see an exclamation mark then I just know it's important so I open it right away. :biggrin:

1. What are green envelopes and why are they important?

Green envelopes are unused and forgotten envelopes that are typically used for mailing letters or documents. They are important because they represent wasted resources and contribute to environmental pollution.

2. How many green envelopes are thrown away each year?

It is estimated that billions of green envelopes are thrown away each year, contributing to the growing problem of waste and pollution. This number continues to increase as more people rely on digital communication and neglect the use of traditional mail.

3. What is the environmental impact of green envelopes?

The production of green envelopes requires natural resources, such as trees for paper and energy for manufacturing. When they are thrown away, they end up in landfills where they take a long time to decompose, releasing harmful greenhouse gases. This contributes to climate change and pollution.

4. How can we reduce the use of green envelopes?

One way to reduce the use of green envelopes is to switch to digital communication whenever possible. This can include sending emails, using electronic signatures, and opting for electronic billing and payments. Another way is to repurpose and reuse green envelopes for other purposes, such as making lists or storing small items.

5. Are there eco-friendly alternatives to green envelopes?

Yes, there are several eco-friendly alternatives to green envelopes. Some companies offer recycled paper envelopes or envelopes made from alternative materials, such as bamboo or hemp. Another option is to use reusable envelopes, such as those made from cloth or silicone. Additionally, digital communication is the most environmentally friendly option.