Should I Trust Suspicious Emails About Secret Wealth?

• Thread starter Lisa!
  • Start date
In summary,The author suggests that if you receive an email that seems suspicious, you should reply and try to weasel stuff out of the scammers.
Lisa!
Gold Member
Do you think I should respond to it? If the story would be true, I'd be a rich person almost overnight! He's told me a story that really makes sense!And right now the only thing I have to do is to respond to the e-mail and let them know if I'm intersted!:cool:(no mention about giving the credit card number or paying money. Not yet of course)

Have you ever received 1?

:rofl::rofl:

Physics news on Phys.org
You should respond and try to weasel stuff out of them!

Uh I guess I should. You know the story was really interesting! :biggrin:

I used to get about 10 of those http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/nigeria.asp" emails a week. It finally slowed down and now I almost never get them.

Last edited by a moderator:
:rofl: Yeah something like this! I receive lots of letters of the other kind which I never read, but this 1 was pretty funny! I think they should work on it more, for example he said the money belongs to Mr smith that's a very common name and everyone simply realize the story is totally crap! Anyway I should reply to him and personally thank him for the laugh!

jebus crap GD is turning into Lisa's journal

I don't know why you only have problem with my threads! Most of people around here have the same threads and even more personal. I just wanted to make sure whether I'm missing anything here or not.
Honestly I want to know what's the problem with you? I'm very curious to know why some people get to hate someone from the first minute they meet that person. In real life it's not surprising but in virtua world it is! (I know some people aroud here really can't stand me and I can understand them since it happened after I posted here a lot but there's a difference in your case since you were like this from the bigining):smile:
So please let me know I'm really curious to know it!

On a related note, I knew a guy who loved to mess with sales people. If someone called him with a phone soliticitation, he would act as though he was really interested and then put them on hold. After watching TV for a few, he would pick up the phone and apologize for the wait, promise that he would be back in a few minutes with his credit card, and then put the phone down and watch some more TV,. etc.

Lisa! said:
:rofl: Yeah something like this! I receive lots of letters of the other kind which I never read, but this 1 was pretty funny! I think they should work on it more, for example he said the money belongs to Mr smith that's a very common name and everyone simply realize the story is totally crap! Anyway I should reply to him and personally thank him for the laugh!
One piece of personal information that you automatically give them when you reply is that this is a valid and active email address. Don't be surprised if you get an increase in spam shortly after responding.

hey, i never thought of that dave. i replied to the second one of those i ever got, and why yes, i did get a whole lot more after. i never made that connection. some of them are really well written though, and when I'm bored i'll read them...

So you mean I better forget all about it and doesn't respond? Good point, thanks Dave!:smile:

One piece of personal information that you automatically give them when you reply is that this is a valid and active email address. Don't be surprised if you get an increase in spam shortly after responding.

Actually the fact that they don't get a reply at all, (SMTP error message) is enough for most spammer to know they have a vaild email address.. BUT I wouldn't respond, and just delete them

Anttech said:
Actually the fact that they don't get a reply at all, (SMTP error message) is enough for most spammer to know they have a vaild email address.. BUT I wouldn't respond, and just delete them
Another good point. The only permanent solution to ending spam is creating a private, uncommon e-mail address (like a gmail account) that you only use for corresponding to people you know, and most importantly, never registering on any websites with that e-mail address. My MSN address started this way, but now I get about 3 spam e-mails per day for when I get home. :(

The best way to avoid spam is to use disposable email addresses. I personally recommend both spamgourmet and zoemail.

- Warren

Thanks everyone! :smile:

chroot said:
The best way to avoid spam is to use disposable email addresses. I personally recommend both spamgourmet and zoemail.

- Warren
Thanks for the tip, I'll use spamgourmet and zoemail now too. I use mailinator.com. And my level system. :biggrin: Send me an email to hotmailalternateaddress@hotmail.com (3rd level domain) whydon'tcha? Or another to Mk@physicsforums.com (2nd level domain). Then there is the top level domain that I only use for important things. Top level I check about 25 times per day. I recommend the system.

hotmailalternateaddress@hotmail.com (3rd level domain) whydon'tcha? Or another to Mk@physicsforums.com

Both these have 2nd and top level domain names...

physicsform/hotmail is a 2nd level
.com is a top level
hotmailalternateaddress will be an MX record within the 2nd level domain of hotmail

:)

Now another 1 the same story and place but from another email address! :rolleyes: I guess I have to forget all about this account and just use my gmail!

1. What is the meaning behind "I've got a secret letter"?

The meaning behind "I've got a secret letter" can vary depending on the context. It could be referring to a literal letter with a secret message, or it could be a metaphor for keeping a secret or having a hidden agenda.

2. Who is the sender of the secret letter?

The sender of the secret letter is unknown and can only be revealed by opening the letter. It could be from a friend, family member, or even a stranger.

3. What could be the contents of the secret letter?

The contents of the secret letter could be anything, ranging from a surprise invitation, a confession, or even a threat. It all depends on the sender's intentions.

4. How can one decode the secret message in the letter?

Decoding the secret message in the letter would require additional information or clues from the sender. It could be a code, a cipher, or a hidden message within the text. Without any context or hints, it would be challenging to decipher the message.

5. Is there any significance to the letter being a secret?

There could be significance to the letter being a secret, as it could indicate a level of trust or confidentiality between the sender and receiver. It could also add an element of mystery and intrigue to the message. However, it ultimately depends on the context and the intentions of the sender.