Describe Friend for Organizations/Schools/Companies

• Thread starter Drimar
  • Start date
  • Tags
    English
In summary, Zoobyshoe said that the adverbs in question carry different meanings depending on how they are used, and that the meanings are difficult to determine without knowing the context.
Drimar
1. He seems honest
2. He looks honest
3. Maybe he is hosnest

What is the difference between them ?:blushing: Second, in order to recommend someone to some organizations/schools/companies, what words/statements you would use to describe him so that he can get the job/bonus/an increase in salary/or be accepted, etc.? (I want to write something to introduce my friends to some big boys :blushing: )

Thanks :wink: yaye, i am not a native please bear with my awful use of the language

Physics news on Phys.org
Well the first one somewhat implies that the speaker kinda knows the person they are talking about and feels that the person is probably a honest person. The second one means that the speaker believes the person is honest based solely on looks (which is odd). The third one is the speaker saying that he/she does not really know whether the person is honest or not and is simply stating that the person could or could not be honest.

Thanks, how about the second question ?

I still have some questions. These uses of adverbs are not listed in my dictionaries, I have a lot.

1.He is probably a murder
2.He is likely a murder
3.He may be a murder
4.Possibly he is a murder

I am afraid I will use those adverbs incorrectly, so I would like to ask you in advance. Thanks for your kind answers. God blesses you all!

But I think all of them are the same, could zoo again put them in order from highest to lowest possibility ?

By the way, usually, a student is not allowed to read recommendation letter from his/her teacher, I wonder how I can write one for the schools to believe in the one to be introduced.
I know writing something like that must be hard. if someone could tell me what points are to be taken seriously...

Native speakers use them daily but why they don't feel a thing about the differences in what they are talking about ?

In your four questions you are making a baby mistake you would never make in your own language.

zoobyshoe said:
In your four questions you are making a baby mistake you would never make in your own language.
So how would you give percentage of use to each of them in order anyway ?

I think the problem here is connotation. To a native english speaker, these adverbs carry small differences when used this way. Their definitions may all be very similar and they may very well be synonyms, but they carry slightly different meanings when used certain ways.

In my opinion,
2. states the strongest case of him being a murderer (someone who commits murder- this may be what zoobyshoe was talking about).
1. second strongest
3 & 4 are next, though they are saying the same thing in my mind.

My interpretation, though, is subject to many factors and may not be the standard interpretation in California.

1. What qualities should a good friend possess in the workplace or school setting?

A good friend in the workplace or school setting should possess qualities such as trustworthiness, empathy, good communication skills, reliability, and the ability to work well in a team.

2. How can having a friend benefit an organization or company?

Having a friend in an organization or company can benefit by promoting a positive work culture, increasing employee satisfaction and morale, and improving communication and collaboration among team members.

3. How can organizations or schools encourage and foster friendships among members?

Organizations and schools can encourage and foster friendships among members by organizing team-building activities, creating a friendly and inclusive work/school environment, and promoting open communication and collaboration among members.

4. Can having a friend in a higher position or authority be beneficial in an organization or school?

Having a friend in a higher position or authority can be beneficial in an organization or school as it can provide mentorship and guidance, increase opportunities for growth and development, and create a sense of support and belonging within the organization or school.

5. Are there any potential drawbacks to having friends in an organization or school?

While having friends in an organization or school can have numerous benefits, there is also the potential for conflicts of interest, favoritism, and cliques to form. It is important to maintain professionalism and boundaries in such situations to avoid any negative impacts on the organization or school.