Primality Testing: Solve Problem with Incongruency of xj^(n-1)/pj Modulo n

• Thread starter buzzmath
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Testing
In summary, In order to find a prime number, you need to find an element with an order that is a power of the prime number. However, this condition may not always be met.
buzzmath
I'm having trouble with this problem

Let n be a positive integer. Show that if the prime-power factorization of n-1 is n-1=(p1)^(a1)*(p2)^(a2)*...*(pt)^(at) , and for j=1,2,...,t, there exists an integer xj such that
(xj)^(n-1)/(pj) is incongruent to 1(modn)
and
(xj)^(n-1)≡1(modn)
then n is prime
when I write (pt),(xj)... I mean p sub t and x sub j

so far I have
we know ordn(xj)|(n-1)
suppose ordn(xj)≠n-1 then there exists and integer k s.t. n-1=kordn(xj) and we know k>1
(xj)^(n-1)\(pj)=(xj)^((kordn(xj))/(pj))=((xj)^ordn(xj))^(k/(pj))≡1(modp)
this is a condridiction to the original statement
therefore ordn(xj)=n-1 ordn(xj)<=Φ(n)<=n-1
Φ(n)=n-1 and n is prime

the problem I'm encountering is we know (xj)^(n-1)/(pj) is incongruent to 1(modn) but (xj)^(n-1)/(pi) may not be incongruent to 1(modn) for an i≠j
can anyone help me with this problem?
thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
buzzmath said:
the problem I'm encountering is we know (xj)^(n-1)/(pj) is incongruent to 1(modn) but (xj)^(n-1)/(pi) may not be incongruent to 1(modn) for an i≠j

You can't get around this problem. If n is prime, just take xj to be an element with order pj^aj.

Fortunately though, you don't need to. Just consider the condition for one value of j at a time. What does it tell you about the power of pj that appears in phi(n)?

The power of pj that appears in phi(n) is aj. I'm not sure what the exact value of aj is or where you would go from there. Is there a way I could get an answer or a common base by multiplying all of the xj's together to get one base incongruent 1(modn)?

1. What is primality testing?

Primality testing is the process of determining whether a given number is prime or composite. A prime number is a positive integer that is only divisible by 1 and itself, while a composite number has at least one other factor besides 1 and itself.

2. Why is primality testing important?

Primality testing is important in various fields, such as cryptography, number theory, and computer science. It is also used in the generation of large prime numbers for secure encryption and in the development of efficient algorithms for solving mathematical problems.

3. What is the "incongruency of xj^(n-1)/pj Modulo n" problem in primality testing?

The "incongruency of xj^(n-1)/pj Modulo n" problem refers to a common issue encountered in primality testing algorithms, where the computation of modular exponentiation may result in an incongruent value when compared to the original number. This can lead to incorrect conclusions about the primality of a given number.

4. How is the "incongruency of xj^(n-1)/pj Modulo n" problem solved?

The "incongruency of xj^(n-1)/pj Modulo n" problem can be solved by using different techniques, such as the Chinese remainder theorem and the Euler's criterion. These techniques help to reduce the number of modular exponentiations and ensure that the correct congruent values are computed, leading to a more accurate primality test result.

5. Are there any limitations to primality testing algorithms?

Yes, there are limitations to primality testing algorithms. Some of these limitations include the need for large computational resources, the existence of pseudoprimes (numbers that pass the primality test but are actually composite), and the lack of a known general formula for primality testing. Additionally, some primality testing algorithms may only work for specific types of numbers and may not be applicable to all integers.