Can we reach Mars using thrusters and maintain a constant velocity?

In summary: Mars! :)In summary, thrusters can be used to change the orientation and speed of free fall, but only if you're travelling to a body with a different gravitational pull (like Mars). You have to put yourself in a transfer orbit first to make the trip.
I worked out the theory of transfer orbits and put it in the thread entitled, "Transfer orbits for dummies: a hillbilly tutorial." I included an example problem of a spaceship departing from Vesta and arriving at Earth.

Jerry Abbott

Astronomy news on Phys.org
Nibles said:
It's my understanding that everything in space is in some sort of "free fall", which is pretty much what an orbit is. So, if you were in a spaceship and applied some thrusters, you are pretty much changing the orientation and speed of your "free fall", right?

So, let's say I wanted to get to Mars. If I turned my thrusters on full blast would I keep constantly accelerating (as long as the thrusters are active)? Would the gravitational pull of Earth cause a slight deceleration? Because I'm closer to Earth, Earth wants to pull me back, but when I cross over the 50% distance mark then Mars's pull will be more influential and will start pulling me in. Of course this 'threshold' wouldn't be 50% because Mars and Earth are not exactly the same size, and would not have the same GP.

My main question is: Could you simply apply thrusters to reach a certain velocity, and then turn them off (to save fuel) and maintain that velocity until you reached your destination?
Yes you would maintain that speed given that space is a vacuum and nothing would slow you down (unless you get hit by some space debris)

Note, this is a 4 year old thread.

<h2>1. How do thrusters work in space?</h2><p>Thrusters work by expelling a high-speed stream of gas or plasma in one direction, which creates a reaction force in the opposite direction. This reaction force propels the spacecraft forward, allowing it to maintain a constant velocity.</p><h2>2. Can thrusters be used to reach Mars?</h2><p>Yes, thrusters can be used to reach Mars. In fact, most spacecraft that have successfully reached Mars, such as the Mars Odyssey and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, use thrusters to adjust their trajectory and maintain a constant velocity.</p><h2>3. How long would it take to reach Mars using thrusters?</h2><p>The amount of time it takes to reach Mars using thrusters depends on the specific spacecraft and its trajectory. Generally, it takes around 6-9 months to reach Mars using thrusters.</p><h2>4. How do scientists ensure a constant velocity when using thrusters to reach Mars?</h2><p>Scientists use mathematical calculations and precise control of the thrusters to ensure a constant velocity when traveling to Mars. They also take into account factors such as gravitational pull and atmospheric resistance to make necessary adjustments.</p><h2>5. Are there any other propulsion methods besides thrusters that can be used to reach Mars?</h2><p>Yes, there are other propulsion methods that can be used to reach Mars, such as ion engines and solar sails. However, thrusters are currently the most commonly used method for reaching Mars due to their reliability and efficiency.</p>

1. How do thrusters work in space?

Thrusters work by expelling a high-speed stream of gas or plasma in one direction, which creates a reaction force in the opposite direction. This reaction force propels the spacecraft forward, allowing it to maintain a constant velocity.

2. Can thrusters be used to reach Mars?

Yes, thrusters can be used to reach Mars. In fact, most spacecraft that have successfully reached Mars, such as the Mars Odyssey and the Mars Reconnaissance Orbiter, use thrusters to adjust their trajectory and maintain a constant velocity.

3. How long would it take to reach Mars using thrusters?

The amount of time it takes to reach Mars using thrusters depends on the specific spacecraft and its trajectory. Generally, it takes around 6-9 months to reach Mars using thrusters.

4. How do scientists ensure a constant velocity when using thrusters to reach Mars?

Scientists use mathematical calculations and precise control of the thrusters to ensure a constant velocity when traveling to Mars. They also take into account factors such as gravitational pull and atmospheric resistance to make necessary adjustments.

5. Are there any other propulsion methods besides thrusters that can be used to reach Mars?

Yes, there are other propulsion methods that can be used to reach Mars, such as ion engines and solar sails. However, thrusters are currently the most commonly used method for reaching Mars due to their reliability and efficiency.