Find Expectation Value of Wavefunction in 1-D Box

In summary, to calculate the expectation value for the wavefunction, one needs to integrate over the -infinity to infinity range and multiply the wavefunction by its complex conjugate.
land
OK, here is the problem:

An electron is in a 1-D box of length L. Its wavefunction is a linear combination of the ground and first-excited stationary states (and here it is):

[tex]\phi(x,t) = \sqrt\frac{2}{L}[sin (\frac {\pi x} {L})e^{-i \omega_1 t} + sin\frac {2 \pi x}{L} e^{-i \omega_2 t}][/tex]

where [tex]E_1 = \hbar\omega_1 = \frac{\pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex], and [tex]E_2 = \hbar\omega_2 = \frac{4 \pi^2 \hbar^2}{2mL^2}[/tex]

First, I need to find the expectation value <x> for the wavefunction.

It seems to me that I need to multiply the wavefunction by its complex conjugate, put x in the middle, and integrate from -infinity to infinity. But attempting to do this yields some nasty integrals, like [tex]\int x sin^2 (\frac{\pi x}{L})[/tex] and [tex]\int sin(\frac{\pi x}{L})sin(\frac{2 \pi x}{L})e^{it(\omega_2-\omega_1)}[/tex] ; am I just doing this completely wrong or do I need to plow through the integrals?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Well, Integrals might be nasty... But you are wrong about your integration limits, they're [0,L] and not [-inf,inf].

Thanks, I was wondering about that too. But I'm doing it correctly otherwise? I don't even know how to begin that second integral. Guh.

Well, you should use the formulae that convert a sine multiplication to a sum of cosines... Sorry, Integrals in QM are ugly... And it only gets worse...

Whenever I have an integral that isn't a basic polynomial or trig function, and I can't recognize a simple substitution that will solve it, I pull out my CRC Handbook of Mathematical Tables and look it up. I tell my students that doing this is OK, so long as they give me a reference: the name of the book or the address of the Web site, and the number that it uses to identify the integral.

Yeah, I think I figured them out, thanks to you guys :)

1. What is the 1-D box model used for?

The 1-D box model is used to represent a particle confined to a one-dimensional region, such as a long thin wire or a narrow tube. It is often used in quantum mechanics to study the behavior of particles in confined spaces.

2. How is the expectation value of a wavefunction calculated in the 1-D box model?

The expectation value of a wavefunction in the 1-D box model is calculated by taking the integral of the wavefunction squared over the entire length of the box. This represents the average position of the particle within the box.

3. What does the expectation value of a wavefunction tell us about the particle's behavior in the 1-D box?

The expectation value of a wavefunction in the 1-D box model gives us information about the most probable location of the particle within the box. It also tells us about the spread or uncertainty in the particle's position.

4. Are there any limitations to using the 1-D box model to find the expectation value of a wavefunction?

Yes, the 1-D box model has some limitations. It assumes that the walls of the box are infinitely high, which may not accurately represent real-world systems. It also does not account for the effects of external forces on the particle.

5. How can the 1-D box model be extended to more complex systems?

The 1-D box model can be extended to more complex systems by adding additional dimensions. For example, a 2-D box model would have two dimensions (length and width), and a 3-D box model would have three dimensions (length, width, and height). This allows for a more realistic representation of particles in confined spaces.