Online distance education electives

In summary: Most of the professors do a great job of answering questions. They just may not be as available for interaction as they would be in person.- WarrenObviously that's never the case in the online classes,...Most of the professors do a great job of answering questions. They just may not be as available for interaction as they would be in person.
jbusc
In order to meet the requirements for my double major, I have to have a minimum number of units which unfortunately is a tiny bit short of the number of units I'll have when I fulfill all my course requirements.

Therefore, I'm interested in taking about 4 semester-units of credit online, in a subject (preferably math) that I wouldn't take ordinarily - something like Abstract Algebra, Complex Analysis, possibly Real Analysis, etc. However, any other topic in physics, engineering, history, or french is welcome.

The course has to be during the summer for me to get credit from it, and preferably could be taken Pass/Fail. It also has to be from an accredited university that accepts it toward it's own on-campus degrees.

Physics news on Phys.org
most colleges tha I've seen don't accept online credits

Your school doesn't have online classes?

not at the undergraduate level...

They'll take online courses...but they have to be equivalent to the course offered by the same (accredited) school on campus, and acceptable towards the bachelor's degree there...and there are significant restrictions on the what the credits can be used for. Basically, elective units only. Which is fine by me.

For example, UC berkeley online courses count. But UC Berkeley basically only has pre-calculus.

Dont you go to UMBC?

Jus take it at CP.

I would generally say stay away from online courses.

mmmm...no, USC.

It's just that there's no room in my schedule for more math...so in order to get the elective units needed I would just take more engineering here...

Oh, my bad.

Just take something, as long as it is not online. More engineering courses are good.

Nothing at all is wrong with online classes; Stanford offers entire master's degree programs in a number of fields, entirely online.

- Warren

chroot said:
Nothing at all is wrong with online classes; Stanford offers entire master's degree programs in a number of fields, entirely online.

- Warren

I know a guy at work who is doing his masters at stanford online. He said it is harder because he's not sitting there and can't interact with the teacher. (But he has moved down there to do his PhD). Personally, I would stay away for that reason.

cyrusabdollahi said:
I know a guy at work who is doing his masters at stanford online. He said it is harder because he's not sitting there and can't interact with the teacher. (But he has moved down there to do his PhD). Personally, I would stay away for that reason.

It's definitely a slightly harder route -- but it's Stanford, after all. What do you expect? Cake?

- Warren

It's the same at USC...the entire master's engineering program is online now as an option, including most of the undergrad courses which are requirements or prerequisites for master's degrees.

But it doesn't make sense for me to take those courses online, since I'm here anyways.

I really don't mind online courses or self-study...all I really need are a syllabus, textbook, and an exam to take :)

chroot said:
It's definitely a slightly harder route -- but it's Stanford, after all. What do you expect? Cake?

- Warren

Well, it being hard because you can't interact with the professor has nothing to do with the name of the school.

cyrusabdollahi said:
Well, it being hard because you can't interact with the professor has nothing to do with the name of the school.

It may be different at other schools, but, frankly, very few people ever seem to interrupt professors at Stanford. For some reason, students ask maybe 2-3 questions per 75 minute lecture. Everyone else just posts a blizzard of questions to the course's bulletin board, which are all answered by TAs. It works out pretty well -- I rarely feel like I am seriously missing out on anything. Other schools may well be different.

- Warren

chroot said:
It may be different at other schools, but, frankly, very few people ever seem to interrupt professors at Stanford. For some reason, students ask maybe 2-3 questions per 75 minute lecture. Everyone else just posts a blizzard of questions to the course's bulletin board, which are all answered by TAs. It works out pretty well -- I rarely feel like I am seriously missing out on anything. Other schools may well be different.

- Warren

More or less, I agree with you on that. Also, its not the same when you can't turn to the guy sitting next to you, you know?

You really are on your own, so to speak.

Also, you are grad and I am not. So that in-and-of -itself is going to be different.

Last edited:
Here, certain professors operate on the "socratic" method of teaching - you must ask questions, and you will be asked questions, in class. And it can be a significant part of your grade. Personally, I love it, but it's not universally liked.

Obviously that's never the case in the online classes, though.

1. What is online distance education?

Online distance education is a form of learning that takes place over the internet, where students and instructors are not physically present in the same location. It allows students to access educational materials, interact with instructors, and complete assignments remotely.

2. How do online distance education electives differ from traditional electives?

Online distance education electives offer the same content and credit as traditional electives, but they are delivered in a virtual format. This means that students can access course materials, participate in discussions, and complete assignments at their own pace and from any location with an internet connection.

3. What are the benefits of taking online distance education electives?

There are several benefits to taking online distance education electives, such as flexibility in scheduling, the ability to learn at your own pace, and the opportunity to access a wider range of courses from different institutions. It also allows students to develop important skills, such as time management and self-motivation.

4. How do I know if online distance education electives are right for me?

Online distance education may be a good fit for students who are self-motivated, have good time management skills, and are comfortable using technology. It is important to carefully consider your learning style and preferences before enrolling in online electives.

5. Are online distance education electives recognized by employers and universities?

Yes, online distance education electives are becoming increasingly recognized and accepted by employers and universities. As technology continues to advance, online learning is becoming a more popular and respected form of education. It is important to ensure that the institution offering the online electives is accredited and reputable.