Depleted Uranium vs tungsten

In summary: So in summary, the self sharpening property of depleted uranium (DU) in anti-tank rounds is due to its pyrophoric nature. Upon impact, the heat causes the molecules of uranium metal to ignite and break off, leaving the cooler interior metal intact. This process acts as a "pencil sharpener" and allows the DU projectile to maintain its shape and effectiveness. This is a result of the material science and chemistry properties of uranium.
tehfrr
So one of the big advantages to using depleted uranium (DU) rather than tungsten in anti-tank rounds is because a DU projectile will self sharpen upon impact whereas a tungsten projectile will flatten or "pancake".

http://deploymentlink.osd.mil/du_library/how.shtml

What is it about DU that enables this self sharpening property? My best guess is due the pyrophoric nature of uranium, but I assume there has to be more to it. (I am looking for a materials science/chemistry related explanation)

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
tehfrr said:
So one of the big advantages to using depleted uranium (DU) rather than tungsten in anti-tank rounds is because a DU projectile will self sharpen upon impact whereas a tungsten projectile will flatten or "pancake".

http://deploymentlink.osd.mil/du_library/how.shtml

What is it about DU that enables this self sharpening property? My best guess is due the pyrophoric nature of uranium, but I assume there has to be more to it. (I am looking for a materials science/chemistry related explanation)
I believe it is because the molecules of uranium metal in contact with the target ignite from the heat and break off and leaving the cooler interior metal intact. So instead of the metal flattening and staying together, the target acts like a kind of pencil sharpener heating up and removing the uranium that it is in contact with.

AM

Last edited by a moderator:

The self-sharpening property of depleted uranium (DU) projectiles is due to its high density and unique crystal structure. DU has a density of 19.1 g/cm3, which is significantly higher than tungsten's density of 19.3 g/cm3. This high density allows DU to maintain its shape and resist deformation upon impact.

In addition, DU has a face-centered cubic (FCC) crystal structure, which is different from the body-centered cubic (BCC) crystal structure of tungsten. This FCC crystal structure allows DU to deform and flow more easily upon impact, causing it to sharpen into a pointed shape.

Another important factor is the pyrophoric nature of uranium. When DU is heated to high temperatures, it reacts with oxygen in the air and produces a fine, powdery oxide layer on its surface. This oxide layer acts as a lubricant, reducing friction and allowing the DU projectile to maintain its shape as it penetrates through the target.

In contrast, tungsten has a higher melting point and does not have the same pyrophoric properties as DU. This can cause it to flatten or "pancake" upon impact, reducing its ability to penetrate through armor.

Overall, the combination of high density, unique crystal structure, and pyrophoric nature make depleted uranium an advantageous choice for anti-tank rounds, as it can maintain its shape and penetrate through armor more effectively than tungsten.

1. What is depleted uranium and tungsten?

Depleted uranium is a byproduct of the process of enriching natural uranium for use in nuclear reactors or weapons. Tungsten is a naturally occurring element with a high melting point and density.

2. What are the main uses of depleted uranium and tungsten?

Depleted uranium is primarily used in military applications, such as armor-piercing ammunition and armor plates for tanks. Tungsten is commonly used in industrial and military applications, including projectiles, armor, and electrical components.

3. How do depleted uranium and tungsten compare in terms of density and strength?

Depleted uranium has a higher density and is therefore more dense than tungsten. However, tungsten has a higher strength-to-weight ratio, making it a popular choice for applications where weight is a factor.

4. Are there any health or environmental concerns associated with depleted uranium and tungsten?

Depleted uranium is radioactive and can pose health risks if ingested or inhaled. However, it is generally considered safe as long as proper handling and disposal protocols are followed. Tungsten is not radioactive and is considered safe for use in industrial and military applications.

5. Which material is more cost-effective, depleted uranium or tungsten?

Tungsten is typically more expensive than depleted uranium, but it also has a longer lifespan and requires less maintenance. Therefore, the cost-effectiveness of each material depends on the specific application and its requirements.

Back