Pre-sizing manufacturers parts

• Thread starter jimmy p
  • Start date
  • Tags
    parts
In summary: DAMNIT THINK!Dude, you're overworrying about such trivial crap. In summary, the conversation discusses the frustration of consumers with the random and often impractical numbers used to describe the capacity of products, such as CD racks. The conversation speculates that these numbers may be used as a marketing tactic or due to logistical considerations, but ultimately leaves the question of who is to blame unanswered. The conversation also touches on other quirks in pricing and measurement systems.
jimmy p
Gold Member
How come when manufacturers pre-size things for the mould, they ALWAYS come up with such random numbers!

For example today, i was looking for a new CD rack, and all i saw were things like "holds 64 cds", "can store up to 92 cds", holds "140 cds and 14 videos", holds "312 cds and 41 DVDs".

WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THESE INAPPROPRIATE PROPORTIONS? I want a CD rack that holds 150 cds. I don't want my cd rack to whiten my teeth in my sleep or contain up to 5 televisions (what I am going to do with 5 televisions in my room i don't know!), NO EXTRAS, just CDs. And a nice metric number. not 312 cds. 300 would be fine. ARGH IT JUST MAKES ME GO CRAZY

And the list could go on? why why why why why WHY WHY do they come up with such STUPID numbers and sizes. And comparisons to size as well, when they are really disjointed. "has the capacity of 5 litres or 12 RUBBER DUCKS" (there is no product description like this that i know of, its just an example) but the point is that they are always inane and illogical comparisons. Like i care that 12 rubber ducks is 5 litres!

Rant over, i just got very bitter today cos i went home empty handed.

Does this annoy other people? Can you give more examples?

Physics news on Phys.org
Well, its an advertising ploy. They use odd numbers for two reasons I can think of.

1) To impress. 312 is 12 more then 300. By some peoples mentality, bigger is better, so the one claiming 312 will sell.

2) Intentionally stupid. In other words, some ads are designed to be stupid, so as to grasp your attention. For instance, how many "normal" things do you remember from your recent visit to the market? Something that is stupid or irrational will stick out in your mind much better then something that goes with the flow.

America is like this and it seems we cannot do anything about it. You can't fight city hall.

buts its so ANNOYING...which could lead on to another rant about why the 'masses' are so damn stupid. but i will save that. 350 sounds more than 312 and its more practical. But people are morons.

Originally posted by jimmy p
How come when manufacturers pre-size things for the mould, they ALWAYS come up with such random numbers!

For example today, i was looking for a new CD rack, and all i saw were things like "holds 64 cds", "can store up to 92 cds", holds "140 cds and 14 videos", holds "312 cds and 41 DVDs".

They probably got a discount on boards which were X long. X long corresponds to 312 cds.

I'd bet it's conversion factors between metric and USCS systems.

The world is out to get you jimmy, the sooner you realize this the better

Originally posted by DarkAnt
The world is out to get you jimmy, the sooner you realize this the better

Your right DarkAnt, they are out to get me *giggles insanely* But you guys at PF are my friends arent you?? *eyes PF warily*, you'll help me get them first! :wink: :wink:

buts its so ANNOYING...which could lead on to another rant about why the 'masses' are so damn stupid. but i will save that. 350 sounds more than 312 and its more practical. But people are morons.

Well, then someone will come out with a 362 CD case!

I think it is probably a lot more logical than you might think.
For example, a portable soft shell CD case should have a capacity divisable by the number of CD's per page (both sides).
That number would likely be 2 (small), 4 (medium) or 8 (large).
Anything larger than 8 would be unweildy.
3, 5, 6 and 7 would be odd shaped and a waste of usable space.
Then, they have to consider how thick it will be full, and the ease of handling that thickness (remember that a large portion of CD buyers are pre-teen to teenage girls with tiny hands).
Then, they have to consider the weight, how neatly it fits into backpacks and such etc...
I have a portabls CD case that holds 128 CD's.
16 pages of CD's that are nicely placed, comfortable to handle and the case is thinner than some notebook computers when full.
If they added a few more sheets, it would be a lot less comfortable to carry around.

WHO IS TO BLAME FOR THESE INAPPROPRIATE PROPORTIONS? I want a CD rack that holds 150 cds
Devil's advocate:

So then why don't you buy one rack which holds 64 CD's and one that stores 92, you'd have space for 156 CD's

..."has the capacity of 5 litres or 12 RUBBER DUCKS"

I really like the rubber duck system and I hope that it is adopted someday as the international standard. :smile: I imagine I could learn it easier than meteric.

Talking about odd numbers, why do they price things one cent cheaper than it should be?

NOW! ONLY €29,99

They are introducing this neat thing in stores now, if an item is €3,01 or €2,99 you can pay €3,00 and no one asks questions Whoever thought of introducing €0,01 €0,02 €0,05 together with the Euro? Crazy bankers.. I have to carry a separate bag for my wallet

Originally posted by Monique
Devil's advocate:

So then why don't you buy one rack which holds 64 CD's and one that stores 92, you'd have space for 156 CD's

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR! BUT WHY 156?? 150 would be ok! THINK METRIC MR DEVELOPER BEFORE I HUNT YOU DOWN AND INFLICT 312 CD'S WORTH OF PAIN! ...oh and 41 DVD's!

I think you should just store your cds on the ground ;) tho you probably don't know how many cds can't fit in your room, hehe. Plus it is free.

I have an relic Egyptian CD rack that holds 360 CD's.

If man were born with 312 fingers...

I have heard that the Rubber Duck or RD system is coming into play, first of all they have to decide on the standard size of a rubber duck.

I agree with you Monique, £3.99? why not £4? Like that 1p is going to make that much difference until you have bought 100 items. Then u can bag the pennies and take them down the bank and exchange a pound coin. Thats what i do. Throw it back in the "a penny less" man's face...JERKS!

I wouldn't store my cd's on the floor, I am a freak for cd neatness, they would have to be constantly straight and in alphabetical order.

and 312 fingers? where did that come from?? and do u mean on each hand? or all together?

Our counting system rather arbitrarily relies on our ten digits ("fingers").

I want to know why there are no normal products any more, the smallest size is always a large, the least powerful is always a maximum strength. Years ago if you had a platinum credit card people would like at you like you were some kind of credit rating master, today I got a pre-application in the mail for a DOUBLE platinum card and I'm only a college student

It can pretty much be summed up by the theory "bigger is better"

That's some crazy s**t man! It's pretty bad in Britain, because being in debt is rife and people are constantly borrowing money. It seems that every other advert on TV is to do with consolidating loans. And the banks don't help by giving out quadruple gold/platinum alloy cards! FOOLS!

Have you ever had this conversation?

"I would like a small soft drink please."

"We don't have small, just medium and large."

Now correct me if I'm wrong, but, if one size is large and the other size is less big, isn't it small?

LOL yes i have! those CRAZEE fast food workers. Another classic would be to say you want a medium meal, and the ask you if you want to go large...no, i said MEDIUM A$$HOLE!

LOL yes i have! those CRAZEE fast food workers. Another classic would be to say you want a medium meal, and the ask you if you want to go large...no, i said MEDIUM A$$HOLE!
You can't blame them for upselling and suggestive selling. It's part of the seven steps of service! Think about it this way, to go from the medium to a large could only be a 50c upgrade, or $1. They're just pointing that out and you then go "only 50c? SURE!" That's fifty cents extra they just scored off you. Then another fifty from the customer behind you and that's already a whole dollar into the company that wasn't initially going to be there without their prodding.
Same goes for the suggestive sell, "did you want fries with that?"
--"no, I didn't but come to mention it a regular fries would go down alright with my burger.."
--"miss, you could get a large for forty cents extra?"...

Originally posted by Artman
Now correct me if I'm wrong, but, if one size is large and the other size is less big, isn't it small?

That is one of my BIGGEST pet peeves!

Originally posted by Mistress Lilith
You can't blame them for upselling and suggestive selling. It's part of the seven steps of service! Think about it this way, to go from the medium to a large could only be a 50c upgrade, or $1. They're just pointing that out and you then go "only 50c? SURE!" That's fifty cents extra they just scored off you. Then another fifty from the customer behind you and that's already a whole dollar into the company that wasn't initially going to be there without their prodding.
Same goes for the suggestive sell, "did you want fries with that?"
--"no, I didn't but come to mention it a regular fries would go down alright with my burger.."
--"miss, you could get a large for forty cents extra?"...
You paid your way through college at a fast food diner?
You're good!

I suppose it bugs me because i always know what i want by the time i get to the counter. And i hate it when they bug me for more. fools.

1. What is pre-sizing and why is it important for manufacturers?

Pre-sizing is the process of determining the appropriate size and dimensions for a part before it is manufactured. This is important for manufacturers because it helps ensure that the part will fit and function properly in the final product, reducing the risk of errors and costly rework.

2. How is pre-sizing different from traditional sizing methods?

Traditional sizing methods involve trial and error, where a part is created and then modified until it fits correctly. Pre-sizing, on the other hand, uses advanced computer simulations and data analysis to determine the optimal size and dimensions for a part before it is physically created.

3. What are the benefits of using pre-sizing for manufacturers?

Pre-sizing can save manufacturers time and money by reducing the need for trial and error, minimizing the risk of errors and defects, and optimizing the performance of the final product. It also allows for more accurate and consistent production, improving overall quality control.

4. What factors are considered in the pre-sizing process?

The pre-sizing process takes into account various factors such as the intended use of the part, the materials being used, the overall design and dimensions of the product, and any potential environmental or operational stresses that the part may experience. It also considers the manufacturing capabilities and limitations of the company.

5. Can pre-sizing be applied to all types of manufacturing?

Yes, pre-sizing can be used in various industries and manufacturing processes, including but not limited to automotive, aerospace, electronics, and consumer goods. It is a valuable tool for any manufacturer looking to improve efficiency, accuracy, and quality in their production process.