Hardest Shakespeare books to read

• Thread starter Dooga Blackrazor
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Books
In summary, the conversation discusses the difficulty and enjoyment of reading Shakespeare plays. The speaker is a student trying to improve their chances of getting into a hard English course by reading Shakespeare. They ask for recommendations on the hardest and most interesting plays, and the other person suggests King Lear as the toughest and As You Like It as the easiest. They also mention that some plays, such as Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens, are not as good. The conversation ends with a recommendation for The Tempest and Othello as interesting and not difficult plays to read.
Dooga Blackrazor
There is already a topic kind of on the subject but since bumping topics generally isn't proper forum edicate I figured I'd start I new one. Anyway I'm a student and we just started reading The Merchant of Venice. It's pretty interesting but from this Shakespeare hasn't lived up to his being really hard hype for me but none the less its interesting and the words and expression expand vocabulary. Anyway I'm trying to get into a hard English course next year so I'm reading a lot to improve my chances. So...

Just curious what are the hardest Shakespeare books to read and what are the most interesting? It's opinion of course.

Physics news on Phys.org
The toughest I think is King Lear. because it's so hard to stay with the story. The point is that the King is a fool, and mistakes good people for bad, and bad people for good, and winds up out in the cold. But it's hard to read all that foolishness, and treachery, and cruelty. The easiest play is probably As You Like It, because it is! Some of his plays are not as good as the rest. Titus Andronicus and Timon of Athens are two of the worst.

You may enjoy The Tempest & Othello, interesting & not difficult.

I'll look into those. Thanks alot. :smile:

What makes a Shakespeare book difficult to read?

There are several factors that can make a Shakespeare book difficult to read, including the language, the cultural and historical context, and the complexity of the themes and characters. Shakespeare's plays were written in Early Modern English, which can be challenging for modern readers to understand. Additionally, the plays often reference events or customs from Elizabethan England that may not be familiar to readers today. Finally, the intricate plots and nuanced characters in Shakespeare's works can require careful attention and analysis to fully comprehend.

Are there certain Shakespeare books that are considered the most difficult to read?

While the difficulty level of a Shakespeare book may vary depending on the reader's personal experience and understanding, some of his works are generally considered more challenging than others. These include plays like "King Lear," "Hamlet," and "Macbeth," which deal with complex themes and feature lengthy, poetic soliloquies. Additionally, the historical plays, such as "Julius Caesar" and "Richard III," may be more difficult for readers who are not familiar with the events and characters of English history.

How can I make reading a difficult Shakespeare book easier?

There are a few strategies that can help make reading a difficult Shakespeare book more manageable. First, it can be helpful to read a modern translation or adaptation of the play alongside the original text. This can provide context and clarification for unfamiliar language or references. Additionally, watching a performance or film adaptation of the play can bring the story and characters to life and make it easier to follow the plot. Finally, taking notes and discussing the play with others can also aid in understanding the complex themes and character motivations.

Is it necessary to read a difficult Shakespeare book in its entirety?

While it is always beneficial to read a book in its entirety, it is not necessary to fully understand and appreciate a difficult Shakespeare play. In fact, many readers find that watching a live performance or film adaptation can provide a more engaging and accessible experience. However, if one is interested in studying the play in depth, reading the entire text is recommended.

Are there any tips for understanding the language in a difficult Shakespeare book?

One helpful tip for understanding the language in a difficult Shakespeare book is to read the text out loud. This can help with pronunciation and can also make the language more accessible. Additionally, using footnotes or a glossary to define unfamiliar words and phrases can aid in comprehension. Reading the play in a quiet, distraction-free environment and taking breaks when needed can also be beneficial for understanding the language and following the story.