Finding Parametric Equation of Tangent Line to Intersection of Surfaces?

In summary, the task is to find the parametric equation of the tangent line to the curve of intersection between the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 and the ellipsoid 4x^2+y^2+z^2 = 9 at the point (-1,1,2). The approach is to find the gradient of the curves of intersection and then use the cross product to determine the direction of the line. It is not necessary to find the equation of the entire intersection curve.
bodensee9

Homework Statement

Hi, I need help with the following. I'm asked to find the parametric equation of the tangent line to the curve of the interrsection of the paraboloid z = x^2 + y^2 and the ellipsoid 4x^2+y^2+z^2 = 9 at the point (-1,1,2).

Homework Equations

I think I'm asked to find the gradient of the curves of the intersection, and then I know the vector with the direction of the line eof intersection, and then I can plug it back into find the parametric equation of the line.

The Attempt at a Solution

I guess I am trying to find the equation of the curve of intersection first? So, would I set the two equations equal so that I would get 4x^2+y^2+(x^2+y^2)^2 = 9? But then z has gone away? I guess I'm pretty clueless as to how to attempt to solve this problem?
Or if I'm right that the intersection is an ellipse, but how am I supposed to find the equation of the ellipse? Can anyone give me any pointers or hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
You are only asked to find the tangent line at one particular point, so you don't need to find the equation of the complete intersection curve and then find its tangent. Doing all that would give you the answer, though.

Think about the tangent planes to the two surfaces at the point (-1,1,2).

Was going to post. Figured it out. You only need to take the cross product of the gradient to the two curves.

1. What is the intersection between surfaces?

The intersection between surfaces refers to the area where two or more surfaces meet or overlap. It can be thought of as the common boundary shared by the surfaces.

2. How is the intersection between surfaces calculated?

The calculation of the intersection between surfaces depends on the type of surfaces involved. For flat surfaces, it can be determined by finding the equations of the two surfaces and solving for the point(s) where they intersect. For curved surfaces, it may require more advanced mathematical techniques such as calculus.

3. What is the significance of the intersection between surfaces?

The intersection between surfaces is important in many fields, particularly in engineering and architecture. It allows for the determination of shared boundaries and areas of overlap, which can be crucial in designing and constructing structures and objects.

4. Can the intersection between surfaces be a line?

Yes, the intersection between surfaces can be a line if the two surfaces are parallel to each other. In this case, the line represents the common boundary between the two surfaces.

5. Are there any real-life examples of the intersection between surfaces?

Yes, the intersection between surfaces can be seen in many everyday objects and structures. For example, the intersection between walls and floors in a building, the intersection between the road and sidewalk, or the intersection between two pieces of paper on a desk.