Problem understanding particle/wave duality and quantum jump

In summary, the conversation discusses the confusion about the relationship between particle/wave duality of an electron and its jump from one state to another. The analogy of a vibrating string is used to explain how the electron can only have certain frequencies, similar to how a vibrating object can only have certain frequencies based on its length and tension. However, this does not necessarily mean that the electron is actually a vibrating object. The conversation also mentions the ongoing debate about what is "really happening" and how different theories and calculations do not necessarily represent the truth.
moe darklight
Hey, I know this is probably a basic question but I've always been more into biology and only got into physics in the past 2 or 3 months.

I'm having touble understanding the relationship between particle/wave duality of an electron and its jump from one state to another.

how does this prevent the electron form having intermediate states of excitement? from what I read, it seems like this particle/wave duality has something to do with it, but i don't quite understand how. :confused:

edit: ok, i think i kinda get it but I still want to make sure: the picture i get in my head is of a string connected at both ends (i get this from some of the graphical representations I've seen around). this string has a bunch of waves going through it, and the size of the waves has to be consistent throughout the string, while still remaining connected at both ends.
so, since the waves cannot be divided into anything but wholes without disconnecting at both ends, then it has to "jump" from one frequency to the other.

would this be an accurate way to see it?

(please try not to use complicated mathematical formulas; it appears the math part of my brain was lobotomized when I was a zygote)

thanks!

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Don't worry, nobody has ever figured out what you are asking about. The problem is standing, and is called the "measurement problem" in quantum theory. It's with us since about 80 years now.

There are different attempts at resolutions of the issue, but all of them have something weird or illogical or both to them.

If you want to get serious physicists to fight over an issue, just bring this up !

Tell yourself one thing: what is taught in books is only a computational technique (most people agree upon that). It doesn't need to be a correct representation of what "is really happening". And then there are people (and maybe they are right), who say that all we care about, is a good computational technique. They "shut up and calculate".

moe darklight said:
how does this prevent the electron form having intermediate states of excitement?

The analogy with a vibrating string or other vibrating object (which you tried to describe) is about the best you can do, I think. A string with a given length and tension can vibrate only at certain frequencies: fundamental, first overtone, second overtone, etc. Same for any other vibrating object. That's how musical instruments work.

Mathematically, finding the allowed energies for a hydrogen atom or any other bound system is very similar to finding the allowed frequencies for a vibrating object. But that doesn't mean that the electron "really is" a vibrating object. As vanesch notes, nobody knows what is "really happening" here. You'll find that the longest discussions here are between people who have different ideas of what is "really happening," although they agree on how to calculate things like energy levels, that we can measure experimentally.

well, better to be confused together than to be confused alone i guess lol. thank for the help!

1. What is the concept of particle/wave duality?

The concept of particle/wave duality states that particles and waves can exhibit both particle-like and wave-like behaviors. This means that they can have both a definite position and momentum, as well as exhibit interference patterns like waves. This duality is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics.

2. How does the concept of particle/wave duality relate to quantum jump?

In quantum mechanics, particles can exist in multiple states at once, a phenomenon known as superposition. When a measurement is made, the particle "jumps" from one state to another, known as a quantum jump. The particle's behavior as a wave can help explain how it moves from one state to another, as it can be in multiple places at once.

3. What is the significance of quantum jump in quantum mechanics?

The concept of quantum jump is significant because it explains how particles behave at the quantum level. It also helps to reconcile the seemingly contradictory behaviors of particles as both waves and particles. Without the concept of quantum jump, many phenomena in quantum mechanics would be difficult to explain.

4. How is the duality of particles and waves observed in experiments?

The duality of particles and waves has been observed in a variety of experiments, such as the double-slit experiment. In this experiment, particles are fired through two parallel slits and create an interference pattern on a screen, similar to how waves behave. This demonstrates the wave-like behavior of particles. Other experiments, such as the photoelectric effect, demonstrate the particle-like behavior of particles.

5. Can the duality of particles and waves be explained by classical physics?

No, the duality of particles and waves cannot be explained by classical physics. Classical physics describes particles as having a definite position and momentum at all times, while quantum mechanics allows for particles to exist in multiple states at once. The duality of particles and waves is a fundamental aspect of quantum mechanics and cannot be explained by classical physics.