Human powered still - Nichrome wire

In summary, the ASME design competition is to design a human powered still, which would use human power to boil water. We have a bike running a DC motor, producing a range of 100-250 watts (depending on pedal speed, we need to test this). To convert this to electricty, we were thinking of using nichrome wire. However, as far as I know this wire is electrically live, so we can't just put it in water or put it on a copper pot. How can we insulate the wire electrically, but not thermally? Thanks, I'm looking into the high temp paint idea.
gtg357i
The ASME design competition is to design a human powered still... basically to use human power to boil water. We have a bike running a DC motor, producing a range of 100-250 watts (depending on pedal speed, we need to test this).
To convert this to electricty, we were thinking of using nichrome wire. However, as far as I know this wire is electrically live, so we can't just put it in water or put it on a copper pot.
How can we insulate the wire electrically, but not thermally?
Thanks,
Drew

Engineering news on Phys.org
Your terminology is a bit confusing. I assume you mean that you're using the motor as a generator, and want to use the NiChrome to convert the electricity into heat.
As for the insulation aspect, I believe that a couple of coats of engine enamel or other high-temperature paint would work. It's not flexible though, so have the wire in the desired shape before coating.

Thanks, I'm looking into the high temp paint idea.
You got it, I'm using the dc motor as a generator to produce electricity.
What exactly does high temp paint do? I want to electrically insulate it, but allow for maximum heat transfer from the wire to the water. (or wire to copper pot to water).

The paint doesn't exactly do anything that other paints don't, but its chemical make-up is designed to withstand extreme temperatures without degrading. It's used to paint car engines, barbecue grills, and such-like. Although some of them might be electrically conductive, most are not.

Last edited:
gtg357i said:
To convert this to electricty, we were thinking of using nichrome wire. However, as far as I know this wire is electrically live, so we can't just put it in water or put it on a copper pot.
How can we insulate the wire electrically, but not thermally?
Thanks,
Drew

You could also look at the supermarket for the handy coffee/tea warmer things that plug into the wall socket, and have a small coil that you put in your cup to heat the liquid. You could either use it straight away, or tear it apart to see how they do it. The outer layer of the coil is metal, but it is not energized directly with wall voltage, obviously, since that would give even decaf coffee quite a jolt!

BTW, get someone in good shape to ride the bike. 1/4 kilowatt is serious sweat.

100 W = 100 J/s = 100 N-m/s

100 N is about 22 pounds force. so to power your 100 watt bulb, you have to lift a 22 pound object up from the floor to a table top 1 meter higher, and you have to repeat this every second. will get tedious after a while.

think of that when you imagine all these empty and lit buildings overnight. we waste a f0ck of a lot of energy, especially when you equate it to human terms.

I second rbj's comment. When I ride the stationary bikes in our company Gym, they tell me something like 125W for the average power output for a 30 minute ride usually. I'm no LanceA, but I do push reasonably hard.

1. What is a human powered still?

A human powered still is a device that uses human energy in the form of pedaling or cranking to generate heat, which is then used to distill or purify liquids.

2. What is Nichrome wire and how is it used in a human powered still?

Nichrome wire is a type of resistance wire that is commonly used for heating elements. In a human powered still, Nichrome wire is wrapped around the container of liquid to be distilled or purified. When electricity is passed through the wire, it heats up and transfers that heat to the liquid.

3. How does a human powered still work?

A human powered still works by using human energy to turn a crank or pedal, which in turn rotates a shaft connected to a heating element. The heating element, usually made of Nichrome wire, then heats up and transfers that heat to the liquid in the container, causing it to evaporate and condense into a purified form.

4. What are the benefits of using a human powered still?

There are several benefits to using a human powered still. Firstly, it is a sustainable and eco-friendly way to purify liquids without relying on electricity or fossil fuels. Additionally, it can be used in remote or off-grid locations where access to electricity may be limited. It also allows for more control over the distillation process, resulting in a higher quality end product.

5. What types of liquids can be purified using a human powered still?

A human powered still can be used to purify a variety of liquids, including water, alcohol, and essential oils. It can also be used to distill other substances such as vinegar or herbal extracts. The type of liquid that can be purified depends on the temperature at which it evaporates and condenses, so liquids with a lower boiling point are more suitable for purification using a human powered still.