Can a Change of Basis Matrix be Pre-multiplied with a Transformation Matrix?

• Thread starter Sumanta
  • Start date
In summary, P(Tv) is the change of basis from V -> W and T is the premultiplication of a vector in W by a matrix.
Sumanta
Hello this is not a new thread but a continutaion of the thread of 6th april which I posted. I do not know how to continue the thread and so was not sure and so started as a new topic again. Please refer to my last post also.

This is regarding P(Tv) where T is the transfromation from V -> W and P is the change of basis from V -> V.

The points which siddharth etal mention is clear but what is unclear is the following What is unclear is that when u are doing this u are actually trying to premultiply a vector which is already in the space W. So does it mean if W ism dim space and P is n x n and m < n then when u multiply the P with Tv do u assume that the u extend the dimension of a vector in W to n by adding n -m 0 s to the end

Physics news on Phys.org
What do you mean by "premultiply a vector which is already in the space W"? Whatever basis you use in V, you are multiplying a vector in V by a matrix to get a vector in W.
If V has dimension n and W dimension m, then, yes, P is n by n but T? is n by m: n columns and m rows. T(Pv)= (TP)v where v is in V and TP is also n by m.

Hi ,

What is understandable is the following

v in basis B -----------> v in basis B' -------------> W(on application of T)

v is in B and so Pv takes it to another basis in B'
so T(v) w.r.t basis B' is nothing but T (Pv) with respect to basis B.

q1. Can u apply T to a vector on another basis? Prob u can.

Is it P(Tv) or is it (PT)v that is being equated to T(Pv) ?

Probably second one. In that case I am not clear about the physical meaning of PT.

If not so then I am not clear what is the meaning of applying P on a vector in W since Tv is already a vector in W.

Thanks a lot for the help and putting up with me.

This doesn't make any sense.

If P is a change of basis in V, you can't in general write down PT. since P is nxn and T is mxn. (V is n dim and W is m dim, and there is nothing that implies m=n).

What is the significance of the date 6-4-2007 in continuation?

The date 6-4-2007 may hold significance in a particular experiment or study that is being continued. It could mark the start or end date of a specific phase, or be a date of importance in the research timeline.

What does the continuation of 6-4-2007 mean in a scientific context?

In a scientific context, the continuation of 6-4-2007 refers to the ongoing or extended research or experimentation that began on that date. It could also mean that the results or findings from that date are being further analyzed or built upon.

Why is the continuation of 6-4-2007 important?

The continuation of 6-4-2007 is important because it shows that the research or experiment is still ongoing and that progress is being made. It also allows for the comparison of results and data over a longer period of time, providing a more comprehensive understanding of the topic being studied.

What factors determine the continuation of 6-4-2007 in a study?

There are various factors that may determine the continuation of 6-4-2007 in a study, such as funding availability, the complexity of the research, and the availability of resources and participants. It may also depend on the objectives and goals of the study and any unexpected challenges that may arise.

How does the continuation of 6-4-2007 affect the validity of the study?

The continuation of 6-4-2007 may positively affect the validity of a study by allowing for a longer period of data collection and analysis, which can lead to more accurate and reliable results. However, it may also introduce potential biases or errors if there are changes in the research methods or conditions over time.