Correlating Leak Rates for Helium, Air & R134a - Michael

In summary, the speaker is a new member seeking help with a problem involving multiple leak test methods for a part. They are trying to correlate data in order to standardize to one specification, preferably using air. They have done some research but are struggling with certain variables and are looking for other suggestions or sources of information. Another member suggests considering gas viscosity and recommends a website for calculations.
djsnow
Hi
I am i new member, i hope i am posting in the correct forum. I require some help i with a problem i am trying to solve in my work. Currently we have 3 separate leak test methods specified for a part all with different working gases and pressures. If possible, i would like to correlate this data so that i can determine that a specified leak rate of "X" with Helium at 700kPa is equal to a leak of "y" with Air at 1.0MPa is equal to a leak of "Z" with R134a at 2.1MPa. The aim being to commonise to one spec (preferably air).
I have done some work on this to based on info in found around the web, in particular this site:
www.air-dispersion.com/msource.html
I am struggling with a few variables used in the formula, in particular compressability factor and real gas density and a few others of R134a.
My question, is there another way to go about solving this problem that anyone might be able to help me with? Does anyone know where i can get some properties tables on the web on R134a at different pressures and temps (and helium for that matter) that could also assist me.
Thanks in advance, any help you can offer will be greatly appreciated.

Michael
Australia

Physics news on Phys.org
I think that your are concerned about small leaks. If this is the case, the leak rate is determined by the pressure difference and the gas viscosity. And this is the main word: viscosity. It depends on the gas and on the temperature. You can learn about this in wikipedia.
The reference that you give if for "big" holes.

Thankyou, i will look into this but i still think that i will need some information that i do not have, any oher suggestiong would be helpful.

1. What is the purpose of correlating leak rates for helium, air, and R134a?

The purpose of correlating leak rates for helium, air, and R134a is to determine the relationship between the leak rates of these gases in a specific system. This can provide valuable information for leak detection and prevention in industrial and scientific applications.

2. How is the correlation between leak rates for different gases determined?

The correlation between leak rates for different gases is determined through experimental data collection and analysis. This involves measuring the leak rates of helium, air, and R134a in a controlled environment and comparing the results to identify any patterns or relationships.

3. What factors can affect the correlation between leak rates for different gases?

There are several factors that can affect the correlation between leak rates for different gases, such as the type of material used in the system, the temperature and pressure conditions, and the size and type of leaks. These factors must be carefully controlled and considered when conducting experiments to ensure accurate results.

4. How can the correlation between leak rates be used in practical applications?

The correlation between leak rates for different gases can be used in practical applications to improve leak detection and prevention methods. By understanding the relationship between leak rates for different gases, it is possible to target specific gases and optimize leak detection techniques for greater efficiency and accuracy.

5. What are the potential implications of not correlating leak rates for helium, air, and R134a?

Not correlating leak rates for helium, air, and R134a can lead to inaccurate or ineffective leak detection and prevention strategies. This can result in significant financial losses and safety hazards in industrial and scientific settings. Additionally, not understanding the relationship between leak rates for different gases can hinder advancements in leak detection technology and methods.